USB GPS installation on Ubuntu Mate

Who has succeeded with VIM2 Ubuntu Mate V16.04 with USB GPS? I have made several try to install it but not get any response from GPS. I use USB to serial converter using FT232RL and serial GPS with external antenna. Devices were tested separately using serial terminal on Windows computer were I see GPS ASCII coded data bursts each second. On my ubuntu last versions of gpsd and gpsd-clients were installed. I see serial adapter response, but nothing from cgps or xgps. β€œcd /dev ls” not show gps in list of devices. Would anyone place guidance for GPS installation?

Hi Vasiliy,

We don’t have such GPS device now, can you provide which model you use?

Thanks.

I used ATGM336H-5N-31 GPS BDS based unit (http://www.icofchina.com/d/file/xiazai/2016-12-05/b5c57074f4b1fcc62ba8c7868548d18a.pdf) from e-bay (similar to that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATGM336H-GPS-BDS-GNSS-Dual-Mode-Positioning-Module-EEPROM-for-Vehicle-Location/362314599591)

Hi Vasiliy,

Which Ubuntu did you use? The kernel is 3.14 or 4.9?

If you use VIM2_Ubuntu-xenial_Linux-4.9_mate_arm64_EMMC_2018-05-31, you can download the new kernel which enable USB Serial Converter.

Update the kernel:

khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo dpkg -i linux-image-amlogic-s912-linux-4.9_0.3_arm64.deb
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo reboot

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Vasiliy,

I use Ubuntu 16.04 linux 4.9 whit new kernel enable USB Serial Converter, I can see the GPS NMEA data.

I use Ublox GPS model + PL2303 USB to serial converter.

$ gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB0 38400 8N1        NMEA0183>
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚Time: n/a                      Lat: n/a               Lon: n/a                β”‚
└───────────────────────────────── Cooked TPV β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ GPRMC GPVTG GPGGA GPGSA GPGLL                                                β”‚
└───────────────────────────────── Sentences β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚Ch PRN  Az El S/N β”‚β”‚Time:                       β”‚β”‚Time:                       β”‚
β”‚ 0                β”‚β”‚Latitude:                   β”‚β”‚Latitude:                   β”‚
β”‚ 1                β”‚β”‚Longitude:                  β”‚β”‚Longitude:                  β”‚
β”‚ 2                β”‚β”‚Speed:                      β”‚β”‚Altitude:                   β”‚
β”‚ 3                β”‚β”‚Course:                     β”‚β”‚Quality:   0   Sats: 00     β”‚
β”‚ 4                β”‚β”‚Status:    V       FAA: N   β”‚β”‚HDOP:      99.99            β”‚
β”‚ 5                β”‚β”‚MagVar:                     β”‚β”‚Geoid:                      β”‚
β”‚ 6                │└─────────── RMC β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ GGA β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”‚ 7                β”‚β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ 8                β”‚β”‚Mode: A1 Sats:              β”‚β”‚UTC:           RMS:         β”‚
β”‚ 9                β”‚β”‚DOP: H=99.99 V=99.99 P=99.99β”‚β”‚MAJ:           MIN:         β”‚
β”‚10                β”‚β”‚TOFF:                       β”‚β”‚ORI:           LAT:         β”‚
β”‚11                β”‚β”‚PPS:                        β”‚β”‚LON:           ALT:         β”‚
└────── GSV β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ GSA + PPS β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ GST β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
(20) $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
(25) $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
(21) $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
(33) $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
(45) $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
(20) $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
(21) $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
(45) $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
(20) $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
(21) $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30

I have try to install linux-image-amlogic-s912-linux-4.9_0.3_arm64.deb but no effect to gps and I also have crush of WiFi connection. Only wired is working now. Explain me please how roll back installation.

Hi Vasiliy,

What image you use before? 4.9 or 3.14?

It was VIM2_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V171028 updated to xenial

Hi Vasiliy,

Can you try the latest version VIM2_Ubuntu-xenial_Linux-4.9_mate_arm64_EMMC_2018-05-31?

And install the new kernel.

khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo systemctl disable watchdog
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo dpkg -i linux-image-amlogic-s912-linux-4.9_0.3_arm64.deb
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo reboot

If update successfully , after reboot, when you insert the USB to serial converter, you should see the node /dev/ttyUSB0.

Unfortunately new system installation will cause need to reinstall a numerous applications already installed. Is any other way?

You need a fresh reinstall VIM2_Ubuntu-xenial_Linux-4.9_mate_arm64_EMMC_2018-05-31, and apply the new kernel.

Or you can try VIM2_Ubuntu-xenial_Linux-3.14_mate_arm64_EMMC_2018-05-31, it already support USB to serial converter.

Thank you very much! Reintallation really help, but it were needed additional settings using terminal I will wrote later.
Unfortunatly I have found one bug with new version of Ubuntu (or may be linux kernel). When I close session to power down VIM2 going to the state from which it unable start on upon power on button (only khadas label image on screen and nothing happens). To switch it back I was needed completely power off VIM2. When such state happens status led on the board was white in off state not blue colored as should.

Hi Vasiliy,

Thanks for your feedback, I will check on this…

How did you do this?

I checked the menu->Shut Down, the system shutdown successfully, and the blue LED will be on, you can press POWER key to bootup the system.

Thanks.