USB 3.0 Current Capacity

Hi

I want to know what is the current capacity of the USB connectors on the Khadas EDGE V-Pro board. In other words, We want to know what the current each USB ports on the Khadas EDGE V- Pro board can give?

Thanks

You can refer to this

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply, Can we change the Current Limits? By Changing the resistors? We need atleast 2Amp out from USB3.0.

Also What is the power that Output Type-c Connector can give?

Thanks

You can change the current limit by change the resistor. But the combined current of usb2.0 and usb3.0 is only 3A.

I think the adapter has to be bigger than 27w(9V/3A)

Hi Terry

I want to know maximum current capacity of the Type-C Output connector which is on the top side of the board and named as USB-C (3.0 & DP)

Thanks

Also for the USB2.0 & USB 3.0 as per the datasheet of the IC SGM2551A, it can drive up to 1.7A only so how we can achieve 2Amp on USB3.0 Connector?

Thanks

Yes, the maximum USB output current is only 1.7A even if you change the resistor.

Hi Terry

In that case, if we limit the current at 1.5A of each and short both supplies will it be okay to give enough current? 1.7A will be too high to handle for continuous operation, or will it be okay? As our application will drive 1.8-1.9 Amp on USB 3.0 Continuously.

Also, the Output Type-C, Highlighted in the attached image what it’s capacity?

The default output current of USB-C port(top side only) is around 2.0A.

To delivery larger current (up to 3000mA output maximum) you should change the ISET R100 value:

2 Likes

Hi Gouwa

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Terry

Can you please answer the above question for shorting of USB2.0 & USB 3.0 Power supply.

Thanks

Hi Gouwa & Terry

Can you please share the details for the USB 2.0 & USB 3.0. Also we need that details for the VIM3 Pro. Can we Change the Resistor for EDGE-V and VIM 3 Pro in the current Limiting IC and Get the 1.7A as output on the USB2.0 & USB 3.0 COnnector. Also If needed Can we short the USB2.0 & USB 3.0 Power Supply.

For VIM3 Pro its R168 & R170

For EDGE-V Pro its R163 & R165

@Totti Please follow up this. Thanks!

1 Like

I want to know what the total current is that you need. You can find a 5V DCDC on the schematic, which supports only the maximum 3A output.

It means you can only use 3A current from two USB ports at most

Hi Totti

Basically we need 2Amp Current in USB 3.0 and 1 Amp in USB2.0. Can you please let us know what resistor value we need to select? For Both Khadas and VIM3 Pro Boards.

Thanks

@Krunal, Gouwa has already provided a chart mapping the resistor value to the current threshold…

as he said, you need a 460 Ω resistor for the USB 3.0 port
and a 1070 Ω resistor for the USB 2.0 port…

good day !

1 Like

Hi @Electr1

That’s for the Output USB Type-C Connector on the Kahadas EDGE-V Board which has the PD Out but I am looking for the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 Connector whose current is controlled by U21 and U22 on VIM3 and U23 & U24 on EDGE-V.

As per the Datasheet of the IC SGM2551A, we can set up to 1.7A but it seems Formula in the datasheet is not correct. So I am asking for the details of what resistor value we need to set there to get 1.7A current Output on those ports.

Thanks

Please find the attached datasheet of the SGM2551A, page #3 for the ILIM Formula.

SGN2511A

Thanks

2 Likes

I will take a look at it, but I am not fully aware of the VIMs Hardware schematics, Please wait for a follow-up reply from Khadas Hardware engineers :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Hi @Electr1
Thanks for the quick response

Hi @Terry @Totti @Gouwa

Can you please help to finalize as soon as possible, thanks.

1 Like

Electr1,
It looks like you missed this moment for the request!

I still need to understand more about the VIMs schematic and other things, I just started reading about it. I would rather give a proper answer rather than blurt something random…

We woudn’t want to create more confusion here, would we ? :wink: