USB 3.0 Current Capacity

It’s hard for me to say what you are guided by duplicating the answers of other forum members in the same post

I was just reminding them, that it was given before…

on the forum all messages are saved, what’s the point of reminding? because of this, forum participants are even more confused ,you can also remind them in a private message!

Sorry buddy, I was trying to show them the way, I will try not to do it again…

1 Like

Thank you. I think it’s important to supplement information and not duplicate it in one post!:wink:

The datasheet of the IC SGM2551A/C is OK; The max current is 1.7A. You can calculate the value of the resistance from datasheet.
However, the general USB cannot provide such a large current. Even if it can provide, the voltage will drop a lot due to the internal resistance of the socket and the wire.

2 Likes

Hi Totti

Okay will check do the calculation again, But we can set Maximum 1.5A (So We are not Running the IC at its Full Capacity) of the current for the USB Connector. Can you provide the detailed specification of the USB Connector used on the Khadas EDGe-V and VIM Boards? What is the Maximum Current and Voltage those connectors can handle?

As there are some USB3.0 Connector who can handle even 5A of current. See the Below link, It says it can handle 20V, 5A of the Current.

One More Question if I need More Power Can i short VCC5V0_HOST0 and VCC5V0_HOST1? In such case we will not be using any connector of the USB, we will just connect the wire to the PAD of USB Connector on the PCB.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Totti

Can you please check and respond.

Thanks

Hi, Below is a screenshot of the USB connector we used:

But the 5V of both EDGE-V and VIM3 provides only 3A current.
I hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi @Totti

Thanks for the quick response. So we Can drive Both USB 3.0 and 2.0 Connector at Maximum of 1.5A, Correct?

One More Question if I need More Power Can we short VCC5V0_HOST0 and VCC5V0_HOST1? to get 3Amp? May be will get it from PCB PAD of the IC and Short them using wire and connect directly to our USB Connector and by passing on Board USB Connectors?

You must change the value of R168/R170 to 22K;That will be OK;

1 Like

If you need that reach 3A, you are better to lead on the signal VCC5V instead of VCC5V0_HOST0/1

1 Like

Hi Totti

Thanks for you Inputs. We will check and let you know if any questions.

Regards

1 Like