Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 focal eMMC

Hello,

Can I upgrade from bionic to focal on the emmc without reinstalling the complete OS?

I’ve tried to sudo apt update full-upgrade do-fenix-… sync but this doesn’t do anything.

Thanks

I found some info here you could try,
https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-18-04-lts-to-20-04-lts-today

they tell you to do,

sudo do-release-upgrade

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind. I don’t think I will try it yet, when I boot 20.04 from the sd card I can’t use USB. If that is working, I’ll try it

Which version of the Kernel do you use ? 4.9 or 5.x

I’ve tried both versions of 5.x, haven’t tried 4.9 yet. Does it work on that one?

Yes, maybe 4.9 will work, why can’t you flash your device with the 20.04 ROM by the way?

I can, but I prefer not to because of installed software and some configurations.

I tested the USB version with kernel 4.9 and that seems to work better (usb works, no weird colors on the display). I tried the do-release-upgrade command but apart from checking some things it didn’t work. So guess I’ll either be waiting or flash the eMMC anyway :slight_smile:

thanks for trying to help!

I did it successfully few days ago, but in a Debian way - just edited all apt sources replacing bionic with focal, then did apt-get update and full-upgrade. At the end of upgrade there was one conflict, so I had to completely remove and reinstall lirc, but at the end all resolved just fine.

Well that’s a very rudimentary way, but I am not sure if that could be called a correct method of upgrade, but nevertheless it should somehow work :slight_smile:, great job though.