Ubuntu issue creating too much conrast on display

@matthewrockell, @Frank, I have the same problem as you: Colours are completely off, pink and green like your screenshot.
I installed ubuntu image VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830 on SD Card.

Its the same for me. It was full green even the kernel loading screen

I have the same problem too

Exactly the same as mine.
Khadas team should be able to update something on this.

I’ve got it too. Since I installed
VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190813
This is with every Armbian, and Manjaro. Every image on SD-card gives a weird color.

I now tried with Android, but can’t seem to install aml_autosript.zip. Also with the keys mode doesn’t boot from SD-card.

@Frank Would it be possible to make a backup folder with the old images please? I’d like to see if that’s the problem.
I did try VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190629.img.7z from the test folder. And it also didn’t work. So I’m a bit clueless. It all did work before.

I also tried with the latest VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190830
And also with the Server images.

The images on the eMMC seem to work correct, only the SD-card images give bad colors.

ps. Kdenlive isn’t working in your Ubuntu images. Segmentation fault. Would be nice if I’d find a fix for that.
I’m leaving on a cycling trip next week, I wanted to use the Khadas VIM3 to do video editing on the road. Otherwise I’ll use one of my RK3399’s.
Greetings, NicoD

Hello @charles @Spikerguy @redfight @NicoD

Yes, the SD images has the color issue, if you use current android image to bootup the SD images.

So the Android image need update. We will release new Android image next week.

But eMMC image should work well.

We will check this issue.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello, First I flashed VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux 4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190830.img to eMMC. No color issues noticed.
Ran Manjaro from Flash Drive using keys to boot the Manjaro, no color issues noticed.
Screenshots from each…

On Ubuntu(eMMC), Kdenlive, confirmed segment fault.
On Manjaro Kdenlive starts but closes within 3 seconds.
Also, I still have VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190719 image, if it will help, I can upload to Google drive for you.

1 Like

Can it check the kernel of the manjaro booted from usb with Ubuntu in emmc?

Thanks

Will do. But won’t be with the board until tomorrow night.

I can predict the answer. This will be the 4.9 core, which is unrelated to the Manjaro image. :slight_smile:

Yes I thought the same just wanted a confirmation from the user.

Hi @numbqq . Thank you for your answer.
I’m not only having this problem with the Android image, but also with the Ubuntu images. I don’t understand what’s happened.
But with all the downloadable eMMC images I’ve got this now. They work on eMMC, but the SD-card images don’t run normal.

That would be very helpful so I can see if this really would solve it.

Kdenlive works in Armbian, so I’d like to run Armbian. But if it would work on Ubuntu xfce then I would be helped with that too.
The performance difference between the VIM3 and my ROCKPi4 is so big with Kdenlive. And it consumes even less while a lot more powerful. I do everything on power banks charged with solar panels.
So I hope to find a sollution for it.
I’m leaving Thurseday. So still a bit of time.

Greetings, thanks all.

I will upload tonight(about 4-5 hours from now).
Also, when I flash image to eMMC, I set “erase all” option.
In the meantime, maybe you could try to erase eMMC, prior to flashing, to insure nothing remains from a previous flash.

@NicoD Since you are up against the clock, I went to the cave(my tech space) and uploaded the image. It is 39.5C in there so you can see why I would normally wait for the cooler nights.:grin:
Anyway, here is the link. Hope it helps.

1 Like

eMMC kernel version shown is 4.9.190
Manjaro(run from flash drive) kernel version shown is 5.3.0-0.5
In either case, used uname -r to show kernel versions.

Are you sure? This means the boot approach in the latest ubuntu image is changed, so now you can boot both with their respective kernel?

Just to reconfirm? I give it a try if this is confirmed.

Am I sure? No.:grin:
I am not fluent in Linux operations. All I can say is, uname -r, ran from terminal in Manjaro returns 5.3.0-0.5 .
Latest Khadas Ubuntu(VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux 4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190830.img) resides in eMMC. Before flashing the Khadas image to eMMC, I select “erase all” in the USB Burning tool, if that matters.
@Spikerguy This is VIM3 I refer to.

1 Like

Haha Thanks, As per your description I think it is fine. I am giving it a try myself Coz this is some good news :smiley:

So we dont have to use crappy android anymore on vim1 for testing any builts.

1 Like

I just tried this. Erase all. VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux 4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190830.img
The xfce image works fine. I make an Armbian sd, again that strange color(I’m colorblind).

Super thanks. I’m downloading it now. I hope this does it. That’s the one I used before.
I had no reason installing a newer version of xfce since I didn’t use it. But I was just too curious.
Thank you.

1 Like

I will try Armbian tonight, sorry it is too hot to go back out there, already had to change my shirt.:grin:

Thank you so much. It works with VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190719
No more weird colors… But, from the moment it starts the boot of Armbian it loses voltage on its USB ports :slight_smile: Now that too. I’ll try some other images.

Edit: I forgot to change the dtb in env. All works again. Many thanks.

@numbqq It might be something changed in the new builds that gave this result. WIth the older image all seems fine.
I don’t know if this is with everybody the same, or some cases.
@RDFTKV Super thanks. Now I wan’t change anything anymore. I had it all working fine before :slight_smile: I’m very happy to have it working again, will make life easier for me.
And I’ll be able to show what the VIM3 is good for. Performance + low powerconsumption.
Greetings.

1 Like