Twister OS Armbian is a fully featured, fast and lightweight desktop OS based upon Armbian Focal 20.04.2 LTS (aarch64) for Rockchip RK3399-based SBCs that is designed to work “out-of-the-box.”
- A RK3399-based SBC/development board with 4 GB of RAM and a 16 GB of microSD/eMMC storage is strongly recommended. (It is currently best supported on Rock Pi 4B, Rock Pi 4C, and RockPro64 boards) We have successfully test it also on NanoPiM4, NanoPiM4V2 and PinebookPro. We didn’t have a Edge-V board to try on.
Some of Twister OS Armbian’s features and specifications include:
- 5.10.21 Kernel(On Newest 2.0.0 version)
- XFCE desktop environment with Xfwm4 window manager
- Latest Panfrost GPU drivers with desktop hardware acceleration
- OpenGL 3.1 is also supported with fully updated Mesa 21.1.0
- Kodi and MPV media players with built-in hardware acceleration support
- Installer for Chromium Media Edition via a Docker container for watching streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+, Hulu, Spotify, and others. (optional)
- ThemeTwister application to completely change the appearance of your OS. Choose from a variety of themes ranging from modern to nostalgic (a reboot is required when switching themes).
- Includes a number of retro gaming emulators – PPSSPP, DOSBOX-X, Mednaffe, Mesen, Mupen64Plus, PCSX ReARMed, Retroarch (Tested functional, but not included), Redream, ScummVM, and many more…
- BOX86 with latest updates included for running x86-based software.
- uSD and eMMC booting supported. (RK3399 - NanoPi-M4 requires re-seat of HDMI cable on power on due to firmware limitations, and supports MicroSD at this time)
- A number of useful, carefully curated apps are included, such as: Steam, Lutris, Discord, My Android, Wine Desktop, USBImager, LibreOffice suite, Transmission, Gimp, MELD, VLC Player, Audacious, etc.
- Vivaldi Browser is included with HW acceleration support.
- A sample of OpenGL games are also included for your enjoyment.
- Overclocking and hardware profile support out-of-the-box.
- Bluetooth audio is not working yet
- Kodi repository is missing and needs to be installed manually (sudo apt install kodi-repository-kodi)
- Docker Container requires performing some extra steps to fix a no-HDMI audio issue. (Fixed via pavucontrol, and selecting proper output device)
- No hardware acceleration for video playback yet.
- Download New Version 2 RK3399 image from twisteros.com website:
- Prepare your storage media for flashing
- Flash image with Balena-Etcher or USBImager
- Edit /boot/armbianEnV.txt file and select correct DTB file that matches your RK3399 board (Default DTB is RK3399-RockPi4B) | Case sensitive! | Example: rockchip/rk3399-khadas-edge-v.dtb
- After first boot, resize EXT4 partition using GParted or Disks utility (included)
- Default password is: asdasd
Changes from 1.1.0 version:
- 5.10.21 Kernel
- Vivaldi Browser is the default browser with full GPU HW acceleration support(Firefox and Chrome are still included)
- Conky desktop system monitor has been included by default on 2.0.0 release
- TwisterOS diagnostics utility is now included
- Winetricks has been added for better x86 emulation support
- Stable Panfrost/Mesa has been included to have OpenGL games and retroemulation artifacts free.
- Improved GUI responsiveness on XFCE, faster performance on desktop
- Flameshot screenshot utility has been added
- USB Imager has replaced Balena Etcher
- Option to resize partition has been included on desktop
- Chromium-Docker has been updated and no longer requires chmod permissions to run
- New Dark Themes are available via ThemeTwister utility
- Jstest-gtk has been added to have joystick support on retro gaming/openGL games
- Mupen64plus N64 emulator issues with visual glitches/artifacts have been fixed.
TwisterOS Development Team