Truck dashboard

2.54 ) I think this is more true!

2 Likes

thank you so muck for your efforts!!!

1 Like

I have developed an issues.
Sometimes my screen trys to rotate?
Some of my gauges are turned 90° and I can’t select them for deletion.
Can you give me advice on what setting to check?

I am not with the VIM3 at the moment, but I will check it tonight when I get back.
Can you tell me which app?

the app is called “torque pro”

I had already swapped to the superceleron ROM when you replied with the app name. So I tried it on his ROM. I installed the lite version and I have no OBDII device, but it seems to run correctly. I added some gauges, dials, and graphs. When the app is first started, some of the added displays start in the wrong orientation but they quickly rotate to the correct orientation. This can be seen in this video, note also toolbar can be hidden.

In the app at Settings/Settings/General Preferences there is a setting for Auto rotate. It appears set by default, perhaps turning off that option will resolve your rotation issue.
I had no trouble deleting displays in superceleron’s ROM.
I will swap the firmware back to the latest Khadas Android 9 and see how the app does there.

@tschultz Brand new VIM3 Android firmware from Khadas. See release notes here.

how do i check my firmware version? and if needed. how do i update it?

“captin super noob” I know. super new to this and very excited to see it to the end. Im very thankful for all the help, and video! thank you for your time!

I have installed the new Khadas Android 9 firmware.
Go to Settings/More Settings/Device Preferences/About, scroll to the bottom, you will see “Build”, the version is listed there. Likely it will be similar on the firmware you have installed now.

A couple of methods exist to install(flash) firmware on the VIM3, those are in two basic categories.

1.) Using a PC, a USB-C to USB-A cable special software and an image of the firmware you wish to flash.
2.) Making a Burning Card to flash the firmware using a micro SD card.
Some methods are available for both Windows and Linux(Ubuntu).
Have a look. OK if you need assistance, we all start somewhere.:slightly_smiling_face:
By the way, the latest Khadas firmware has a setting to remove the status bar(the buttons at the bottom). The setting can be found at Settings/More Settings/Device Preferences/Status bar control.
Also the Torque Lite seemed to work as expected, but you recall I have no OBDII device for deeper testing.

OMG!! I did it. and its working, for now, lol.

the firmware update deleted all my previous set up. oh well. I will work on it for awile and update before bed.

thank you so much for all the help. it makes this “new thing” more comfortable and less scarry.

1 Like

that was short lived. now the app just hangs up and quits. it frezes the VIM3 before it quits too.
its 3am here, had a long day, calling it quits for the night, going to be very unhappy! Maybe i will wake up to some good news?

Deleted the app. Downloaded the .apk file for it and it seems to work well. I got a layout done last night, and let it run when I was sleeping. Woke up and it’s all good.
The one thing I can said that I don’t like is it has seemed to resize the screen? The bottom and the right side are cut short of the edges.
The screen rotation in the app only makes it worse.
I will update again when the actual screen shows up and I try it there( not in the house on my big screen.)

Glad you were successcul in loading the new F/W. My fault, I should have(and usually do, was oversight) mentioned data would be lost after upgrading firmware, my apologies.
For the future, Khadas Krescue can be used to backup the entire eMMC including user data and settings, so one can always get back to where they were. Also an app called Titanium Backup can save/restore user apps and data.

1 Like

Does the app resize the screen or is the effect also in the GUI? If it is the latter, in display settings there is a setting called Screen Position, it can scale the screen to fit in some cases.

Did you work out a solution for the XPWR pads already?

I don’t believe the app resizes? I have run it on my phone(unlocked BLU vivo XL4) and a tablet(Samsung Galaxy E tab. It didn’t.
It almost feels like the x and y sensors are try to be used by the app and the VIM3 doesn’t support it? Not sure, talking from an end user point of view.

I just ordered a new soldering iron :flushed:
As far as how it functions is still kinda of in the air. The DEI528t will work, I just need a delay timer and a second DEI528t. One will pulse with power on and close the contact, the second will have a delay timer that will pulse a second one when the circuit goes low(no power) for a second contact closure when I turn the key off.
In my head the works, on paper too?
I will order the couple of parts I (think) need. If it works I will posts part numbers and what not.

I also contacted the distributor of the for-mentioned XPWR link (a sample) if they show up and look like the will line up well with the pads on the VIM3 I may try to modify my case so I won’t have to solder the board. Maybe it could be an optional case for the future? One with solder-able points on the case?

Is it possible to power the board via the GPIO?
If so, I found an app the will put the device to sleep with power detection at the USB port. The I could wire constant power to the GPIO and switched power to the USB. No need for relays.

It doesn’t happen in the GUI. Just the “dashboard”

Any chance it is a resolution/ratio issue? Be interesting to see how it works on the mobile display.

If I understand your explanation and your goal is to put the VIM3 to sleep with the key-off, sounds like it should work. I would check VIM3 power consumption when it sleeps to insure that the resulting constant drain on the vehicle’s battery is tolerable over time.

On the Pogo pins, I was thinking a piece of perfboard big enough to span the mounting holes in the VIM3’s PCB and the XPWR pads location. Mount Pogo pins to perfboard and attach leads for switch/relay. Perfboard mounts to VIM3 PCB, engages Pogo pins. If the relays are small and the perfboard large enough, relays and other component could all be mounted to the perfboard. Of course, some measuring would be needed to determine the length of Pogo pins and the spacers/standoffs hardware used to mount the board.
Though a case with the pins would be cool.

VIM3 cannot be powered over GPIO, see here.

1 Like

I will check into this tonight, I don’t recall a display issue, however, I am Captain Super Noob on that app.:grin:

1 Like

bahahahahaha :joy: :joy:
A bit of clarification:
When I was using the app from the app store it would crash after I did the FW update. I then down loaded the .apk file and then it worked but cut the right side and the bottom of the screen.
I’m curious of the different screen too? It says it will be here Monday.

I will look into the “perfboard”
I plan on putting the whole thing together inside the stock housing for my dashboard.
I’ll post pictures of my plans later.

1 Like