Triangle head screws?

Somebody might have already mentioned/complained about this, but I didn’t find it in a search.

What’s the purpose of using triangle head screws on the VIM3L case? I can’t believe it’s to make it tamper resistant, since it is a hacker board, and I can buy the bare board without the case.

At the very least it’s going to cost me a set of screws and the hassle of finding screws of that exact size, and that assumes I can get the screws out without buying s special tool.

Please consider switching out the triangle head screws for something more standard.

FWIW, a T6 torx tip will work if you make sure to push in hard when you’re loosening the screw, and the screws appear to be M2x18.

1 Like

Also a jeweler’s screwdriver of a certain size can be used on the security fasteners. The screw is M2-.4. A 2mm screw. I picked up some at one of the big box stores, very inexpensive. The Bay also has many options.
Not sure why the security screws are used, but like an Allen head, they are visually appealing.:slightly_smiling_face:

By the way, when the DIY case is sold as a standalone, it comes with a driver for the TA security bit.
Khadas offers a fastener kit with the driver.

1 Like

What is the screwdriver set I need to open the Khadas case?

Hello, It is a Triangle(TA) type security bit. I think it is 1.8mm(TA18), or less likely, a 2.0mm(TA20). I believe the measure is taken from the height of the triangle from its base.
If you are careful, you can get away with using a standard flat blade jeweler’s screwdriver. Similar in practice to this video…

1 Like

By the way, Khadas now puts it in the kit when delivering the case, since it is really not standard

Always have since day one, and adds that bit of Bling, :upside_down_face::blush:

2 Likes

maybe , I just watched old reviews, someone complained about their absence :stuck_out_tongue::wink:

It is M2, you can replace it with other M2 screws, I have replaced it with hexagon screws.

1 Like

Of course I can replace it with a standard screw, but to inconvenience your customers with a security screw just for a “bit of bling” that you (I?) can’t even see clearly without some aid seems a bit much. :grinning:

I’m glad they’re including a screwdriver that works with the screws now, but that would probably get tossed aside and lost by the time I really needed it.

My advice is to keep your driver close and don’t loose it

I keep then all over the place for easy finding. :smiley::upside_down_face:

1 Like

On one screw one screwdriver , for you will not be much?
:grin::blush: