Touchscreen + VIM3 on Android does not work

Hi,

I want to buy a khadas vim3 and touch screen for development purpose. I should make sure that now AOSP supports touchscreen(LCD) for this board or not. Could anybody help me by answering this question?

best,
Ehsan

hello @Ehsan
the AOSP rom hasnā€™t been compiled and shared by khadas yet,
so there is no official answer for your question, there have been user compiled versions of AOSP, and I would be willing to test it if one of them shared it and sees if it works yet :slightly_smiling_face:

cheers

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I want to modify AOSP source code based on my requirements and research interests and flash these built images into the board. Is there a problem with this purpose? If it is OK then my question is that what kind of touch monitor or touchscreen device I should provide? the cost does not matter, the first matter is the possibility.

best,
Ehsan

since the VIM3 came under the hood of being a AOSP dev board, it ought to be well supported, so no problems there.

as for the LCD, you will probably get the best compatibility out of the khadas TS050 display,
its a 5 inch FHD touchscreen, and the necessary compatible drivers should be brought into AOSP soon enough :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your reply.

What about bigger displays? For example odroid supported displays is not supported under AOSP (As their SoC is also same)? I prefer bigger touch displays with sound.

A normal pc monitor will supported right? What about hdmi touch monitor?

Cheers,
Ehsan

Hello, it is theoretically possible to use any display, but Khadas will not be held responsible for this as you understand, you will have to integrate another display with vim3 yourself, and there may be connection problems. Conclusion, it is necessary to use fully equipment from Khadas! :wink::+1:
Good luck to you!

the SoC is different,

@Ehsan if you are talking about HDMI monitors, any brand is supported as long as it uses proper scaled resolutions (vesa resolutions like 1980x1080p for example)

the concern you need to carry is only for the MIPI-DSI displays

Thanks,

Good news that every hdmi monitor works.

Odroid N2+ and VIM3 both are based on AmLogics SoC. Am I wrong?

Best,
Ehsan

@Ehsan they maybe amlogic Socs but, there are a lot of differences in the SoCs themselvesā€¦

again, every monitor with the approprite resolutionā€¦

Hi,

Does anybody know if this touchscreen works with VIM3?

In this touchscreen, the image is transmitted through HDMI which I think should be OK. But touch is transmitted from USB which I am not sure if is compatible with Khadas. I want to use khadas with AOSP (I want to compile AOSP and use image files as OS)

Best,
Ehsan

I think it will work, as such a display should work with the current android pie iteration,
and waveshare displays (with touch) have been reported to work most of the time without hassleā€¦

Not to forget only if the panel driver is enabled during the aosp build.
You should be able to compile its driver if it is available in the aosp source code.

1 Like

thank you for your replies.

You know I want to order this touchscreen but first I should be sure that it will work with AOSP.

how could I enable the panel driver during building the AOSP?

In this touchscreenā€™s specification has mentioned that no driver requires, by the way how could I find if its driver is available?

Best,
Ehsan

@Ehsan USB touch screen generally supports, if not, just refer to this link and simply add a file.

2 Likes