Tone2 Pro: Pre-Orders Begin 16th December @ $169.90!

I think @hyphop might check on NVMe SSD and 4G LTE on Volumio in the future.

1 Like

must works ! why not ?!

2 Likes

You can 3D print one. @Electr1 can design one for you I’m sure. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi! The khadas tone 2 pro could be used with USB cable to an android smartphone using USB audio player pro (Huawei P30). Could I connect the smartphone to the usb port and contemporarly connect to the other usb i2s to power the device? Could I have the 30usd discount code? Thanks

Hi @giangi71
Yep, the T2P can be powered by most Android phone and iPad Pro directly via a USB C to C cable and for the phone cannot afford enough power, you can just power T2P from I2S-USBC port.

Check here for further information:

The 30usd discount only available during the campaign event til 31st Dec 2020.

Good day!

3 Likes

NVME not ready for usage at this moment - but i think we can help to solve this problem soon

I still haven’t tried 4G internet streaming music to Volumio… which is still a dream for me, because i couldn’t get it to work with Volumio.

simple 3g-4g usb dongles - which can works as usb Ethernet adapters - is simplest solution just plug and play

3 Likes

Where do find the header pin out for the 40 pin connector. I can find this Khadas TONE1 User Manual | Khadas Documentation
but nothing about the pin 6-8.
Why is the 2 times 5V connection on pin 1 and 2. Are both needed and which one are connected to USB power?
Can I connect the I2S signal to pin 29-32 and still get the MQA decoding instead of the USB 2?

Hello, The Tone2/Tone2 Pro schematic is not yet available. However, Tone1 GPIO pinout can be found in the schematic from Khadas downloads here

The Tone1, and I assume, the Tone2 and Tone2 Pro, GPIOs mirror those of the VIMs’. The Tone1 does not use all of the VIMs’ GPIO pins(Tone GPIO pins with “x” equal no electrical connection to Tone1).

Excerpt from VIM1 Docs. I circled a USB group in blue…

As to I2S and MQA,…

1 Like

Thanks for the really good pin overview.
As it seems like Khadas is just copying the other asian brands by only having MQA on the usb then it is not applicable to my requirements. Why have a SPDIF and I2S input without MQA? Spdif is normal much higher quality transmission and source quality is better.

As the ES9038Q2M DAC not with MQA rendering support, and for the T2P is the XMOS processor XU216 do the MQA decoding.

The I2S on both USB-C port & GPIO, and the SPDIF IN both routed to ESS DAC directly, and not throught XMOS processor, so not with MQA decoding support.

6 Likes

Khadas Tone Pro 2 - MQA full hardware decoding

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum & the Khadas community. Was redirected to this forum by Khadas’ support team.

I’m interested in the Tone Pro 2, I’m currently using Roon + Tidal Master + iFi Hip DAC to achieve full MQA unfolding through HIP DAC’s MQA renderer (the DAC doesn’t have hardware decoder, according to iFi it’s a MQA renderer)

Question: If I replace it with the Tone Pro 2 which supports hardware MQA decoding with 3 unfolding, does it mean that I can achieve full MQA unfolding without needing s/w players like Roon or Audiovana? (Assuming I have some FLAC/MQA files in my local hard drive) for example, I can use free players like Foorbar2000 or windows player etc. and still achieve full 3 level unfolding MQA? Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello, Welcome to the community.
Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question. Those that could best answer your question, the Khadas Team, are on holiday for the Chinese New Year from February 6th until February 20th. So most the team will be back in about two weeks, though some might pop in before then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Speculatively, and I am no expert on this(understatement :grin:), I would think the answer would be yes. I base that on these two statements from the product page,…
1.) “The onboard XMOS XU216 processor enables bit-perfect, hardware-native, USB class II, asynchronous “unfolding” of MQA data for both web streaming and local high fidelity audio playback, …”,
2.) " FULL MQA DECODING
The XMOS XU216 processor embedded within Tone2 Pro, enables full hardware decoding of MQA files (3 unfolds), so you can listen to hi-res streaming audio or local files, just as the artist intended at “Master Quality”.​

*XMOS XU216 processor for full hardware MQA decoding
*Compatible with hi-res streaming & local playback
*Tone2 Pro is approved by the MQA Company

From the MQA site…

3 Likes

Maybe a white one would look Hmmm White :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tone 2 Pro, albino :wink::+1:

why not the whole bouquet of err… ocularly inverted tone 2 pros ? :upside_down_face:

that peach colored one is very appealing :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Buddy, your photo Tone looks magical!
:star_struck::musical_score::+1:

1 Like

Did you get three of them really ?

no, its just an inverted color image :grin:

Hi all,

to AudioNewbie, yes you can. Just tested with Foobar with ASIO plugin, selecting the ASIO Tone2 Pro output.
Got Yellow with standard FLAC, and got Green and Blue for MQA depending on the file (tested with these : 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH )

It shows the same thing than playing the same file from Tidal (with setting Passthrough MQA on, if you set it off, Tidal app does the first unfold=decoding and Tone2 Pro does the rest=rendering and the light is Magenta)

2 Likes

I did a general first look of the device (not a full review) and made a point list which I will update with stuff as I figure more of it out :slightly_smiling_face:

you can take a look at the post here:

also, Kudos to the Khadas team for making the intuitive rotary wheel
it was very easy to memorise and remember the various modes and functions :smile:

2 Likes