Tone2 1.30 bricked second time

Dear all,

I got my second Tone2 now and again it started flashing green after I upgraded from 1.20 to 1.30 and cannot be recognised. The support says to remove all USB cables and then plug in again while pressing and holding the volume knob. But this doesnt help. I got the files from the official website.
Can anybody help me with this? Thanks alot!

Similar issue with Tone 2 v1.2 I just received. Need solution how to get it work with v1.3

did you fix it?

i recall reading that pressing and holding knob for a while fixes it

I found an interesting fix. The problem always came up, when I connect the Tone2 with the supplied USB-C cable to the USB-C port of my laptop. I changed to a USB-A to USB-C cable, using a different port and that revived the Tone2. Afterwards, the USB-C cable and port worked again, quite weird.
Sometimes the flashing happens again and I need to use the USB-A to C cable to fix it. I wonder if there is a power issue or so.

If you connect Tone2 with both cables (usbC-usbC and usbC-usbA) - the problem disappears. it happens only with v1.3. v1.2 works just fine with a single usbC-usbC cable. Nothing wrong with the board, its buggy v1.3

Did you try 2x USB-C? My computer only provides a single USB-C port, so I cant try. I wonder if it has something to do with the power control implemented in USB-C.

There are two USB-C ports, just note that the one with I2S-labelled is for LPS power input.

Not sure if your issue got resolved or not, if not yet to post a photo to show the connections between Tone2 Pro, USB Cable and PC will be helpful here.

Dear Gouwa,
as I said, I was able to resolve my issue by plugging the Tone2 via a USB-C to USB-A cable to my laptop. Afterwards, also the C-C connection worked. I didnt use the I2S-Port, since my laptop can provide enough power. As I understand it, the I2S-Port is for pure power delivery in case a smartphone is connected, which does not provice the neccessary power to run the Tone2.

1 Like