Tone board : external powering

great. It works perfect. Thank you.
Regards, Peter

Excellent. Have fun with your amp!

Hi all. I just finished my „experiment“ which was to add a DAC to my already existing whammy.
I share it with the community because it might be if some interest for others.
As DAC, I choose the Khadas Tone 1 because it has the size to mount it on top of the PSU caps. I wanted to keep the chassis as small as possible.
The Tone 1 is an excellent sounding DAC. As opamp I used the Muses 8920, in my opinion one of the best sounding opamps for a really reasonable price.
The Tone1 needs 5 V power supply. Normally it receives its power from the connected USB host. But if you use the spdif input, you would be required to connect a usb power supply. Not the best solution. So I added a mini high quality switched power supply. It is the black cube next to the transformer. I was curious if that would implement distortion. But everything is absolutely clean. No audible noise, hum or so and the measurements with the scope are also very good.
All in all an excellent sounding headamp, preamp and DAC

2 Likes

nice job :slight_smile:
Do you have Tone1 schematic or is it somewhere available? I will do power supply this week. I’ll plug it to Pin 1&21 and I wonder where the power goes then. I am asking because I wonder how big capacitor to use as last capacitor in my power supply.