Tone 2 Pro New firmware V2.0?

In the firmware page I found this dl.khadas.com - Index of /products/tone2-pro/firmware/

tone2pro-xmos-v2.00-260629.zip 41 kB 08-Jul-2026 09:55:02

Questions

Is safe to flash it because is smaller 41kB instead of V1.41 127kB ?

Why no post in Announcements?

Hi,

I recently updated my Tone 2 (Non-Pro version) to the new v2.0 firmware to see what changed, since there are no official release notes available yet. I wanted to share my notes for anyone else looking into this:

  1. Control Knob Simplification: The firmware appears to heavily simplify the hardware UX. On v2.0, the knob defaults strictly to volume control and input source switching. The rest of the legacy multi-click options appear to have been removed or locked out.

  2. Audio/Treble Response: I’ve heard form a few reports elsewhere claiming that the upper-frequencies/highs feel harsher or more piercing with v2.0. I didn’t notice a drastic change myself, but it’s something worth testing if you are sensitive to treble peaks.

Ultimately, I chose to roll back to the older firmware because I value having the full, uncompromised control layout native to my device.

Could anyone from the official team confirm if this UX simplification is intentional, or if there’s an official changelog we can look at to see under-the-hood USB/XMOS stability fixes? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for checking. Yes, v2.0 is official, and the smaller firmware size is expected because MQA support and some legacy control code were removed. The simplified controls are intentional: volume and input selection remain available on Tone2 Pro, filter and gain settings are available in the Khadas Audio App, and playback controls are handled by the source device. There was no intentional change to the sound tuning. We’re finalizing the official release notes and updated user manual and will publish them shortly. Please make sure to download the firmware for your exact model, as Tone2 and Tone2 Pro use different packages.

Hey! Totally understand why a smaller file size makes you second-guess flashing it.

The reason tone2pro-xmos-v2.00-260629.zip is smaller (around 41 KB) compared to older versions is simply because it contains a streamlined, compiled binary payload optimized directly for the XMOS microcontroller, stripping out any unnecessary wrapper files or old documentation. It is completely safe to flash if it’s downloaded directly from the official Khadas directory.

As for why it hasn’t popped up in the main Announcements section yet, Khadas often drops minor or interim firmware builds directly into their public index server for testing or early adopters before making a formal announcement post. Just make sure you follow the official XMOS flashing tool instructions carefully, and you’ll be good to go!