Tone 2 Makers Edition - Not working with VIM4 via GPIO

I’m trying to use the Tone 2 with the VIM4 via the GPIO - Previously the Tone 1 has been working.

The Tone 2 works via USB C - updated to firmware version 1.30

When connected via the GPIO to the VIM4 there is no power led & the board does not function.

VIM4 has been updated via Oowow and tried with a clean install from Oowow - Ubuntu 22.04 Gnome linux 5.4 fenix 1.4 221229

Any help appreciated

Hi
You should not connect VIM4 to Tone2 Makers directly by 40-Pin Header,because the definitions of Tone2 Pin 7 and Pin 8 are different from VIM4.You can find the definitions of Tone2 40-Pin Header from the last page of schematic.
You can use both USB or I2S of the 40-Pin Header.The details are following below.

NO. Audio Input Source Nets need to be connected Pins need to be connected Input Selection
Operations from Tone2
Operations from VIM4
1 USB ■DCIN_GPIO
■GPIO_DP
■GPIO_DN
■GPIO_UART_TX
■GPIO_UART_RX
■GND
■GPIO_I2S_DECT
■GPIO_USB_DECT
■PIN1
■PIN3
■PIN4
■PIN15
■PIN16
■PIN21
■PIN35
■PIN37
USB or Auto GPIO_I2S_DETECT=0;
GPIO_USB_DECT=1;
2 I2S ■DCIN_GPIO
■GPIO_UART_TX
■GPIO_UART_RX
■GND
■GPIO_I2S_BCLK
■GPIO_I2S_SDI
■GPIO_I2S_LRCK
■GPIO_I2S_DECT
■GPIO_USB_DECT
■PIN1
■PIN15
■PIN16
■PIN21
■PIN29
■PIN31
■PIN32
■PIN35
■PIN37
I2S or Auto GPIO_I2S_DETECT=1;
GPIO_USB_DECT=0;

Hi Eric,

This makes sense - the instructions provided suggest to look in products:audio:tone2:start [Khadas Docs] for the info on this - however this does not exist.

I’ve followed your pin out and the board now powers on correctly - however its not detected by the VIM4. Do I need to update something in relation to the ‘Operations from VIM4’ column and do you have instructions for this?

Thanks

Hi
If you connect vim4 by usb,vim4 can recognize tone2.If you use i2s,it cannot. You should update vim4 firmware to do the operations as I mentioned.

Hi Eric,

So I have the Tone 2 Connected to the VIM4 via the GPIO Connector - as per the USB option above

Pins 1,3,4,15,16,21,35,37

It powers up from the VIM4 - I can select Auto or USB via the encoder

The VIM4 Does not detect the Tone 2 - The only Audio out available is Analogue Audio - Built-in

$lsusb shows

3 x USB Hub entries
1 x Logitech USB Receiver

If I connect directly via the USB C port the Tone 2 is available in the Audio Output &

$lsusb shows:

Bus 001 Device 004 Khadas Tone2 Multichannel

Thanks again for your help with this

Hi arts-projects,

This firmware not right, it lead to your Tone2 back to factory test firmware, so it display"Tone2 Multichannel". you need to upgrade your Tone2 firmware to dual-v1.23. and then it will display"Tone2"

Use Tone2 Makerkit at VIM4:

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for these details - this helps a lot, I had downloaded the firmware from:

slightly confusing there are 2 x locations.

It’s all working now - though just disconnecting pins 7&8 the board powered but didnt boot - with just pins 2,3,4,5,35&37 its now all working.

Is there a way to change the Tone2 setting in ubuntu via the command line? We have the mouse and GUI disabled on the version we wish to add this to?

Cheers

Andy

@arts-projects

fenix/tone2.sh at master · khadas/fenix (github.com)
fenix/tone2-control.sh at master · khadas/fenix (github.com)

This is the source code of the application, if you need to integrate your own application, you can refer to this source code.

Hello. I’m trying to use the Tone 2 maket kit with the NanoPi NEO3 (Pure OS) via the GPIO by your instructions step by step, but it not work, can your help to me?
The Tone 2 works great with NanoPi NEO3 via USB C… (Firmware dual-v1.23)

Hi ALEX-KIR,
Are you using the I2S or USB interface for connection? Could you take a photo of your hardware connection?

Hi kenny,
Sorry, I mean USB connection. I tried using USB2.0 from the connector on the board and USB3.0 from the rear panel. The effect is the same. At this moment I have 5V power connected to pins 2 and 5 on the Tone2, USB connected to pins 3 and 4, pin 35 connected to the GND at pin 34, pin 37 supplied with 3.3V power through a separate linear regulator LDO1117. Input mode set to USB by encoder. It should be noted that there are no problems with this power supply, because the external coaxial input works perfectly - my factory Wiim Pro streamer plays music on this Tone2…

Hi ALEX-KIR,
Please try this:

• Connect Pin 37(output 3.3V) and Pin 38 [make the connection simpler]
  • Connect Pin 34 and Pin 35 [you already do this]
  • Connect Pin2~5 to NanoPi NEO3‘s USB-A
    Note that the USB only connect D+and D-

Hi kenny,
sorry for my late reply, I just returned from my long business trip.

I tried to connect as you showed me, but also did not see any effect. External USB type C still works great, it’s a shame that I couldn’t start the internal connection, apparently something is wrong with my Tone2…

Internal connection:

External USB type C connection:

Hi ALEX-KIR,

Please try to connect the Tone2’s GND to the NEO3’s USB port.

Hi Kenny,
I am was try connect Tone2’s GND to the NEO3’s USB port, but nothing has changed…