The Potential of Vim4 as a Linux Desktop/Mobile

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others? X

Ubuntu and Debian

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas Official via oowow

Please describe your issue below:

Conversation on how to make Vim4 genuinely usable as a workstation

After trying to use Khadas Vim4 as a workstation, there are two obstacles;

1.) Lack of 2k resolution
2.) Lack of browser hardware acceleration

I would consider myself a user fully capable of using config/build tools. In other words, I’m not a dev or programmer. Perhaps I’d be considered a power user on the spectrum leading up to a developer. I can recompile kernels, build/mod configs …do some basic scripting, and am a good Linux admin.

But even with these skills, I cannot customize the resolution for my setup. I think the community is ok, but the Vim4 documentation isn’t. And I’d be ok chasing down threads on the board that point me in the right direction to figure stuff out, but there isn’t much to rely on.

I spend my time using two desktop apps; the/a web-browser and some edification of an x-terminal.

I prefer gnome for my window manager, but I don’t mind lxcd, etc. I find the Vim4 very capable in this respect. Yet, without hardware acceleration for the browser, the other 30-50% of my work is unbearable (Atlassian/slack/g’docs/g’mail, etc.).

And this is not on the shoulders of the Khadas Vim team. But more on Mali/Amologic and others. I don’t think I’m an edg-case for the Vim4, and bet there are some other folks with similar experiences and journies.

Post a console log of your issue below: