Support for newer kernel

Hi @chewitt,
Appreciate your answer, however, this is not sufficient, I have a product running on VIM3L , I can not tell the customer and investor about holding till WIP.

At least I can opt-out for hardware encoder for time being but
MIPI display, BLE, WIFI, CSI camera, Audio codec are needed, these are the heart of my product.

Being on 4.9 will not provide security patches from kernel once EOL, Security cannot be compromised in the current world, If the above peripherals are running at least on 4.19 even, I may move forward compromising HW encoder (will use SW one ).

So I am in block condition right now, that is where I need to conclude on a kernel version which is having at least the above support.

@numbqq, really appreciate your views as well.

@KD_1993, I found 4.19 on @numbqq’s repo, however, this does not have support for vim3 series.

Can we use 5.10.x here? For major peripherals?
I have seen one discussion here for DSI,

But can’t be sure for DSI on 5.10.x?
Also no clue on CSI on 5.10 yet?

@chewitt,

Do you have any ideas on below?

Are these patch series tested with TS050 latest and can we use custom panels?
Any plans for CSI ?

Also, one suggestion if you can provide, as 4.9 has VIM3l support but 4.19 doesn’t have even a khadas official repo why it may have happened so? any clue?

I know the MIPI patches were originally writen around the TS050 panel (the drivers for it are already upstream as a result). I also know one other Amlogic board vendor who tested them (and shared some changes that were needed). Current status is that Neil needs to send a v3 patch series then chase the other DRM maintainers for acks to get them merged. I have no info on CSI things … it’s not something I have any need for myself so I’m not tracking or trying to initiate development.

8-bit H264 and VP9 work on G12B/SM1 hardware if you use the right ffmpeg sources but 10-bit, 4K and HEVC (which is not upstream yet) will wedge the board and that needs investigation. I’m aware of some work planned (but not yet started) on looking into fixing the VDEC on newer hardware. I’m not aware of anyone working on VENC at this time, but it should be a much more simple driver to write than VDEC so I’d be hopeful that someone tackles it at some point.

1 Like

@chewitt, Okay, thank you for the process view. It cleared many things.

@numbqq, being an expert in khadas team, expecting your views as well, especially on 4.19?
CSI etc .