SSD Drive 1 lane vs 4 lane interface

Correct me if I am wrong VIM3 has x1 lane SSD interface and Edge-V has x4 lane interface. I looked on eBay and all the SSD drives are x4 line.

If I buy x4 line drive will it still work on VIM3 although 4 times slower? Or will it not work at all?

You are correct, it will work but have reduced bandwidth approx. 10Gbs for 1x lane compared to the 40Gbs for 4x lane.

it can work because the interface is there but has reduced speed, imagine it as large traffic but have only one highway lane instead of four highway lanes, in less technical terms “a bottleneck”

but please note only a few SSD have been tested compatible only NVMe SSD will work,
notably the Samsung EVO 960 (256 GB)

2 Likes

Are you saying that NVMe SSD drives’ firmware will ‘sense’ how many line there is and adopt on-the-fly?

My idea is to buy the latest and fastest and the biggest NVMe SSD that I can afford and than share it across all other devices that I have. For example I can directly use it with VIM3, but via an adapter-housing SSD can be used on my laptop’s USB 3.0 port or I can use it with my phone & tablet etc.

Will that work? … will all these devices recognize directory structure?

yes technically,
that how it would work, but be wary to use a file system that is visible across all systems if you want to do that.

if you put the raw drive (unformatted) on android than android will Format it in its own way such that it will not be visible across other android devices. I suggest first connecting it to the computer and formatting it to something like NTFS which I guess should be compatible across Android and PC

2 Likes

I use a number of USB 2.0 memory drives that work both on my Android mobile and on my PC. I find that very convenient.

yes it can be quite useful, you used the GPIO USB extension for extra USB 2.0 port (pins 2,3,4,5)
if you have a apple computer you can setup a couple of USB 2.0 pen drives to be in RAID 0 for extra performance and put it in your VIM3