Rii Mini i8+ (BT version) not working in Android 6.0.1

Hi,

I bought the Rii Mini i8+ touchpad+keyboard (I bought the Bluetooth version!, not the 2.4GHz version). It works perfectly on my smartphone (Android 6.0). But when I pair it to the Vim, both the touchpad and the keyboard do not work. Why is this?

Android version is the one the Vim came with (6.0.1, Kernel-Version: 3.14.29, Build-Number: Vim_Marshmallow_20170303).

Is there any fix for it?

I have the 2.4ghz version with dongle and LibreELEC on eMMC, it runs fine though.

Yeah but I don’t get why the BT version of this keyboard is working on other Android devices like my smartphone. I will try the Nougat ROM for the VIM and see how it goes…

I wonder what they did to the bluetooth stack in the Android ROMs. On Nougat it is still NOT working. On the other side, on my smartphone it works like a charm (as I said it is Android as well), and in windows it also works smoothly. Just not on this damn device.

EDIT: I forgot, on Nougat it doesn’t even pair anymore. On Marshmallow at least that worked

EDIT2: Apple Wireless Keyboard is also pairing under Marshmallow_20170303 but also typing does not work. Same as with the Rii mini i8+ BT. But audio is working via a BT receiver. So I guess it does not have something to do with the Bluetooth Stack but rather with the input settings. Can anybody help?

Could you please try this LibreELEC rom to see if vim has bluetooth hardware failure?
LibreELEC BALBES150

Extract [.gz] then burn [.img] to usb/sdcard with Win32DiskImager:
Win32DiskImager
Delete [dtb.img] in usb/sdcard.

Activate boot from sdcard/usb: Boot into Android, plug-in sdcard/usb, enter Settings -> System -> About -> Update -> Select file aml_update.zip in sdcard/usb -> Update.

Boot into LibreELEC, then try to pair the keyboard to see if it works.

Can you provider the printing log for me when the Rii Mini i8+ is working on Marshmallow?
Thanks.

$ adb shell logcat > android.txt
$ adb shell dmesg > kernel.txt

@peerobo Thank you but link does not work (file not found)

It does not work. Only pairing does work :slight_smile:

@terry Thank you, i put the files in dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f99dnal6y1mf31c/AAB6nuhd7poe6XhjQC4kH_BZa?dl=0

How to connect I2S DAC

I’m sorry, please try again with this link.

Still not working with the VIM_Nougat_V170901… What information do you need to fix this?

EDIT:

I have reduced the logcat to the relevant parts. It now shows only entries from clicking on “Add accessories” to the failed pairing. I removed the part before since it is not relevant.
Link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m1kkcbglyvi1f9/logcat_shortened.txt?dl=1

What I did was the following:
Go to Settings -> Add accessory -> Then enabled pairing on the Rii i8+ and it showed up in the device list as “Bluetooth 3.0 Macro Keyboard”.
I clicked on it, then the text went from “Pairing…” to “Connecting…” and then “Couldn’t pair”.
This can also be seen in the logcat file.

How can this be fixed?

Hi,Neeco:
I am sorry to reply for you so late.
This is the National Day Holidays in China. I am not at office.
I will pay attention to it after the holiday.

Hey terry,

thanks for your answer! No problem, I will wait until after your holidays.
When you are back at work, just tell me what information is needed for figuring out this issue :slightly_smiling_face: I will try to provide it to you.

Ok, thanks for your understanding.

Hi, Neeco
I tried to search for Rii Mini i8+ on linux source code. But I couldn’t find it on HID BT driver.
Can you provide the Vendor ID and Product ID for me ?
Thanks.

Hey terry,

sure, when I connect the Rii mini i8+ to my Macbook, I can see the following information in the system report:

rii_i8_information

If I can enter them somewhere, just tell me what to do :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Neeco.
I found the HID BT driver.

#define USB_VENDOR_ID_APPLE     0x05ac
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_ALU_WIRELESS_ANSI   0x022c

{ HID_BLUETOOTH_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_APPLE, USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_ALU_WIRELESS_ANSI) },
    { HID_BLUETOOTH_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_APPLE, USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_ALU_WIRELESS_ISO) },
    { HID_BLUETOOTH_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_APPLE, USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_ALU_WIRELESS_JIS) },

I will provide the boot image for you. Can you flash the boot.img? what’s the version of your system?

Interesting that it says “Apple Alu Wireless”, since the device is not Apple.
Maybe they use similar hardware?

If you could link me to a guide how to flash the boot.img, that would be awesome. Never done this before.
I have only flashed the update.img files with the operating systems.
Version does not matter, I can completely reflash Android. Most preferably the latest with root (Vim_Nougat_Root_170612) from your docs page http://docs.khadas.com/basics/FirmwareResources/

Thanks for your help!

I built a test ROM for you.
You can update your system and have a try.
Also please give me the feedback about it.
Thanks.

Works like a charm, thanks terry!

When you have time, maybe you can explain what you did and how I can also do it for new Android versions?

You only need to modify the file common/arch/arm64/configs/kvim_defconfig and enable config CONFIG_HID_APPLE

diff --git a/arch/arm64/configs/kvim_defconfig b/arch/arm64/configs/kvim_defconfig
index 12409aa..269ac59 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/configs/kvim_defconfig
+++ b/arch/arm64/configs/kvim_defconfig
@@ -2830,7 +2830,7 @@ CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y
 #
 # CONFIG_HID_A4TECH is not set
 # CONFIG_HID_ACRUX is not set
-# CONFIG_HID_APPLE is not set
+CONFIG_HID_APPLE=y
 # CONFIG_HID_APPLEIR is not set
 # CONFIG_HID_AUREAL is not set
 # CONFIG_HID_BELKIN is not set

Hello,

I am having the same issue at 7.1.2 with BT Keyboard Rii Mini I8+. Is there anyway to get that custom image again please …