Realtime Kernel

I was not able to successfully patch the stock (Khadas) Ubuntu server Bionic for VIM.
Any help appreciated.

Hello @Stefan

What do you mean about the Realtime Kernel?

Thanks.

I can’t successfully patch/install rt kernel. My best shot was without errors within the install process but afterword I still with the original (no rt) kernel.

Sorry, I don’t know much about the RT kernel. But I think you can provide more information about the failure.

deb-pkg filed error 2
I have used this config trying to build.
Kernel and patch are 4.9.178. there is no 179 patch.

Anyway it will be really good if you guys make Ubuntu build with rt / low latency kernel.

I gave up :slight_smile:

Curious, are RT/low latency kernels similar in function to what some Linuxes use for audio/MIDI apps?

Exactly. For audio editing is a must. For playing music is good to have :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Stefan from where did you get the patches you wanna apply ?

It would be nice to use a Khadas SBC+Tone Board as a realtime tone generator for MIDI. It would help out my archaic Alesis QS7.:laughing:
Will follow with interest.:slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks.

I think he means RT_PREEMPT. You can patch a Linux Kernel to be more responsive (reduce latencies), spinlocks are changed to mutexes, etc. Basically you turn a normal linux into a more “real time” OS. This is definitely useful for multimedia, not only for production but also for consuming media (which would help most Khadas users).

It would be nice to use a Khadas SBC+Tone Board as a realtime tone generator for MIDI. It would help out my archaic Alesis QS7

Actually Tone Board has one of the best DAC chips in the market, and is reviewed as a great sounding hat compared to other specialized DAC hats. So being able to use real time kernels on Khadas boards would attract a lot of audiophiles, producers and musicians.

1 Like

Maybe Khadas Staff can add somehow in Fenix an option to choose from “standard” and “preempt-rt” kernel types to build, like Yocto tree does. Otherwise people will have to use Yocto and mess with the BSPs to be able to use real time Linux in Khadas boards.

Were you succesful patching with the RT kernel Stefan? For what I’ve read it should be quite easy but haven’t tried yet