Question About Tone Board Generic Edition

Hello, Experts and Forum Members

As the title suggests I like to know if Tone Board Generic edition (which appears at Gearbest)
[1] can be used as an external DAC for Windows/Linux PC via USB-C port ?
[2] or it is just for other single board computer?
[3] I’m guessing USB Type C port provide data as well power to this board - Right ?

If the answer is Yes,
[4] Do this product require any driver?
[5] and if yes, where to get it ?

[6] Also like to add - if there is SPDIF Digital IN signal provided via the appropriate cable will this board output the same via RCA Analog Out? (I understand the Generic edition can’t out USB data from the SPDIF out.)

Example : SPDIF Audio Player → SPDIF IN → Tone Board → Analog Out → Goes to an Amp…Possible ?

I already got the reply from GB’s Presale query which made me confused below is the mail

Your original question is “I like to know, the ‘Generic Version’ of this product can be used for windows / Linux computer via USB-C as an external DAC? If the answer is yes where to get the driver?”
Here is the answer from Our Customer service Team:
Hello ArijitB,
Thanks for your inquiry.
Sorry, the item cannot be used for windows / Linux computer via USB-C as an external DAC.
Best Regards
Gearbest Customer Service Team

Tone Board ( including non generic edition) CAN be used on windows as a standart USB DAC trough usb-c!

In generig edition spdif is only IN and signal goes out trough the dac and RCA for left and right channel.

Check here

Download drivers here

1 Like

Thank You for the reply - So VIM version of the tone board also can be used as USB DAC of a computer without attaching to the VIM Box ?

My sole intention/priority to use the tone board as a stand alone USB DAC without attaching any SBC…

and (2nd Priority) if I connect SPDIF device as source input and output the signal to the RCA (Left/Right) just to powering the tone board via power outlet then it sweeten the deal more…Is it possible ? if yes,
In this case do I require any computer to connected to the board ?

Yep.

• The SPDIF IN works for both VIMs Edtion and Gerneric Edtion
  • The SPDIF OUT only work for VIMS Edition

Further details at:
https://www.khadas.com/tone-specs

Thank You for the help. I finally decided to go with Tone Board VIM Edition as I don’t own any VIM Boxes.
And here is my small limited effort to put a Sound Demo on Youtube to let others know.

3 Likes

sorry to reissue this post but I’m in trouble with tone board VIM ed because I’m unable to find a configuration to enable s/pdif sound out …

my Tone Board (latest fw) is attached to VIM3 computer…

~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

root@Khadas:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 0: SPDIF-dit-hifi-alsaPORT-spdif dit-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 1: TDM-A-dit-hifi-alsaPORT-pcm multicodec-1 []
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 2: TDM-B-dit-hifi-alsaPORT-i2s multicodec-2 []
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 3: TDM-C-dit-hifi multicodec-3 []
card 1: Control [Khadas Tone Control], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
root@Khadas:~#

it sound amazing via rca out but nothin via coax .
anyone can help me?

thanks
Enrico

Duplicate posts, will response here.