Question about heatsink, case and M2X extension

Hi, I’m trying to assemble the VIM3, I got it with the new heat sink, the extension board (m2) and the DIY case.

I noticed right away that the case is not compatible with the new M2X extension board, is that right? or is there a way to make it work?

Also the heat sink came with two thermal pads, a pink one and a light blue one, which one should I use? or should both be used? if so where should they be placed? (I assume that the light blue one should go over the main chip sin it looks thicker, but what about the pink one?)

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello, The New Heatsink can be used with the VIM3 or Edge-V. The color used is determined by the application. You will use the Blue for the VIM3…
Thermal Pad (VIM Series):

Material: Silicone
Colour: Blue
Conductivity: 2.0W/mK
Weight: 2.0g
Dimensions: 20.0 x 20.0 x 1.6 mm

Thermal Pad (Edge-V):

Material: Silicone
Colour: Pink
Conductivity: 2.0W/mK
Weight: 1.0g
Dimensions: 20.0 x 20.0 x 0.8 mm

The pad needs to engulf the CPU, it is OK if it contacts other components, but the CPU needs total coverage…

Unfortunately, the case will not fit if M2X is mounted. May be possible to mod the case, I have not tried it myself.

2 Likes

Logically, the thermal pad for Edge will work for vim too, the thinner the thermal pad, the better the heat dissipation.

You can experiment with thermal pads, it won’t get any worse, you may be able to notice the difference in CPU cooling.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not sure why different thickness for the two. I assumed it was a clearance issue. As long as the pad fills the gap between CPU and H/S, should work well.

1 Like

@RDFTKV the rk3399 is a taller SoC with the metal IHS protruding a bit higher than the silicon die itself, so clearance is probably the more appropriate reason, and I can also assure the edge-v’s thermal pad has better thermal performance of the latter being thinner and having equivalent thermal conductivity, resulting in better conductance :wink:

1 Like

Yes, the reason is that Rockchip heats up more than vim.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like