Only Android images work on eMMC (Edge-V)

I’ve got a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable. Should I be able to use both outputs at the same time? Been wanting to try that.:thinking:
Ha! But, there is no panel and the debian swirl is off center on the touchscreen. Gotta mess with the resolution. But, let me try rebooting. Perhaps the DP works OK.
Looks like the DP is working normally. The HDMI isn’t connected and I moved the Toshiba FireTV to the DP.
The maximum resolution available on the DP is 1920 x 1080
But HDMI allows 3840 x 2160 @ 30 fps
HDMI behaves okay, as long as the DP is connected, too. With both outputs connected to different HDMI inputs on the Toshiba, The HDMI output is still 3840 x 2160, but the DP output is still only 1920 x 1080 (with no panel, so it’s pretty unusable)
YouTube videos on HDMI are very choppy, even @ 720p

Yes, see Edge-V, top, component 4. That USB-C port has Display Port v1.2 output.

BTW, while searching for file format info, I saw that your Beginner’s Guide is alive and on line. It looks great. Congratulations!:call_me_hand:
Have you spoken to Kenny, yet? It’s 3:00 am here.:sleeping:
I’ll get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks a lot for your time.

1 Like
  • YouTube being choppy on RK3399 + Ubuntu + 4K is normal. On 1080P it should run more smoothly, but then again depends on what you have going on in the background, how many windows opened, etc.
  • This does not make sense: HDMI behaves okay, as long as the DP is connected, too.

• Neither does this: (with no panel, so it’s pretty unusable)

Overall this does not seem like a GPU issue. With a GPU issue, you would persistently experience the problem across HDMI, DP, Rpi screen, etc.

I recommend:

• Making sure the RK3399 is getting adequate cooling, on Ubuntu it will get hot really fast, and throttle, decreasing the performance. 28nm chips get really hot.

• Running Android on your Edge-V, and seeing if those green square things re-appear

Usually thermal issues are the inconsistent ones because it takes time before your board builds up sufficient heat to go delirious. Therefore, during testing you would mysteriously find that your problems have gone away…only to have them resurface during normal usage. Note that in my video, my Edge-V was running naked in winter-time temperatures of 25C ambient - whilst your Edge-V is cased-up in the DIY Case (which is better for a lightweight operating system such as Android)

Thank you for your reply. However, none of these issues address the initial problem of the HDMI output being out of sync until the power saver blanks the screen during startup and shutdown, as indicated in my photos. We have already determined that this is not due to a ‘bug’ in the dtb, because other EDGE-V SBCs do not exhibit any problems.
Granted, while working on this, it was discovered that this problem does not happen if the USB-C port is also being used. However, it is not an acceptable workaround to require a both outputs to be connected, just to have HDMI. Clearly, this SBC has defective hardware. I agree that it is difficult to make sense of this behavior. But, I am not an engineer. I’m sure that Khadas would never intentionally sell defective products, which makes it important for engineers to examine and investigate the cause of this defect, whether it is due to a individual component or contamination during the SMC assembly.
Considering that I have invested ~$220 in the EDGE-V and accessories, I think it is only reasonable to have a fully functional product. All things considered, I would like to request instructions for exchanging this defective product with a replacement.
Thank you😎

Hi @TheHermit please verify if the thermal issues exist first. Thank you :smile:

This has nothing to do with thermal issues. I have a temp monitor in the system tray and it never goes above 57 deg. Plus, there is no change in behavior regardless of how long it has been running. In fact, I have never had the chance to do anything other than upgrade and test watching YouTube.
I see no point in investing a lot of time in troubleshooting via forum posts, as we already have. Let’s not beat around the bush and correct the problem, instead. Okay?
Although I don’t have much experience with Linux and SBCs, I have been a techie for 40 years, including 16 years of PC support. I understand that it is difficult to walk away from technical problems. But, when it comes to hardware defects, the only solution is replacement of the hardware. It is not losing a battle or a defeat when confronted with an unsolvable situation. Manufacturing defects do happen, regardless of how rare. Yes, it’s a hassle to exchange items half the way around the world. You have been very helpful and have made every effort to avoid the inevitable. But, it is what it is. I believe the technical term is, "Oh well.":sunglasses:

Okay, I understand. In your professional opinion, what do you believe is the exact nature of the hardware problem?

There is still the original problem with the HDMI sync issue during startup. You and another customer verified that there is no problem with the Khadas Ubuntu dtb, therefore the problem is not the software, so that proves the problem is hardware.
Although it is possible to overcome the hardware problem by using the USB-C output, that doesn’t solve the underlying issue. It is only a workaround in a testing situation, but I only intend to use the HDMI output, which is supposed to be functional @4k.
IMO, only an EDGE-V engineer would have sufficient knowledge and equipment to pinpoint the defective component. That is the person who should troubleshoot this issue to get to the bottom of it.
I am only a customer who paid for a fully functional product, which this is not. Therefore, I feel that a replacement is justified.
Do you not agree?

1 Like

Okay I understand. Just to make sure that we are on the same page, does the HDMI sync issue affect your usage of the operating system after startup? Also what does this sync issue look like, how sure are you that I don’t have this sync issue too?

As I previously mentioned, the EDGE-V boots with either a blank green screen or a multicolored mosaic, as pictured above. The display stays like that until the power saver blacks the screen, which takes about 15-20 minutes (regardless of OS power saver settings). Then, I can move the mouse to disable the power saver and the display is normal. This would be entirely unusable for applications that would use motion activated POE, for example.
Would you be okay with paying $220 for a SBC that takes 20 minutes to log in? Of course not.
If I were to guess, I would suspect that an output amp on the HDMI sync circuit is borderline out of spec. It is dysfunctional until it gets a voltage surge from the screen refresh or whenever the current is shared with the DP connection.:thinking:
You showed me a video of the EDGE-V booting straight into the desktop. Why are you playing guessing games with me? I’m not amused.
You call this Khadas level customer service? We have previously worked well together. So WTF are you doing? Is this the standard treatment of Khadas customers who receive defective merchandise?

1 Like

Okay sure, I will escalate this to @kenny and we can arrange an exchange. We’re just making very sure that your issue isn’t something that can be resolved with a little elbow-grease (remember our SBCs are made for makers and developers, not retail customers)

As a CS person yourself, you would undoubtedly know that on occasion the customer’s “model of the world” is different from “our model of the world”. For example, what I may consider to be “normal behavior”, you consider to be “abnormal behavior”. I had to make sure this point is clarified.

This is why I asked you to re-state the nature of the fault that you experienced. As you know, without a video showing us the progression of the actual fault, all we have are pictures showing snap-shots of the fault. That combined with the fact that the fault is intermittent, makes it even harder to diagnose.

1 Like

I have been a maker for the past year, since purchasing my 1st RPi3B+.
I’m currently making a high-def telescopic security camera with stepper motors for zoom, focus, and aperture. 2 more steppers control the camera’s x-y mount (180 deg hemisphere). All of that mounts above a solar charged LiPo pack on a tracker. Everything is controlled via vnc over wifi. Satellite ESP32s with motion detectors will alert the camera to wake up and focus on the sensor’s location, email me an alert, and start recording video onto a 1TB nvme SSD.
Just sayin.:sunglasses:

1 Like