[NPU] Converted and compiled YOLOv4 model does not detect anything

Dear all,

I am trying to run the pre-trained YOLOv4 model (.weights and .cfg) on the VIM3. The conversion from (.weights, .cfg) to .nb (and associated .h) goes through. I am able to compile a libnn_yolo_v4.so. I am able to run the demo using my newly-compiled model, but the model does not detect anything.

The steps I took were the following:

Convert the pre-trained (.weights & .cfg) YOLOv4 to a Khadas-ready model, and run it on the Khadas board

1. Convert pre-trained YOLOv4 to a Khadas-ready model (folder with .nb, .c, …)

• Download pre-trained .weights and .cfg from the official repo
wget https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet/releases/download/darknet_yolo_v3_optimal/yolov4.weights
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AlexeyAB/darknet/master/cfg/yolov4.cfg
  • Follow this guide to modify the three scripts .sh in acuity-toolkit/demo/

• Convert the (.weights, .cfg) into a Khadas-ready model by running

bash 0_import_model.sh && bash 1_quantize_model.sh  && bash 2_export_case_code.sh

This creates a folder called nbg_unify_yolov4

(soundmap) ➜  demo git:(master) ✗ ls nbg_unify_yolov4
BUILD   makefile.linux  vnn_global.h        vnn_post_process.h  vnn_pre_process.h  vnn_yolov4.h  yolov4.vcxproj
main.c  nbg_meta.json   vnn_post_process.c  vnn_pre_process.c   vnn_yolov4.c       yolov4.nb

2. Compile the newly-converted model (on the board)

• Move the header files (.h) and the vnn_yolo_v4.c file from nbg_unify_yolov4 onto the board, on aml_npu_app/detect_library/model_code/detect_yolo_v4
scp vnn_post_process.h vnn_pre_process.h vnn_yolov4.h <BOARD>:path/to/aml_npu_app/detect_library/model_code/detect_yolo_v4/include/
scp vnn_yolov4.c <BOARD>:path/to/aml_npu_app/detect_library/model_code/detect_yolo_v4 
  • Compile the model by running (on the board)
cd path/to/aml_npu_app/detect_library/model_code/detect_yolo_v4
./build_vx.sh

The compilation seems successful (see below)
Screenshot from 2022-02-25 09-59-15
The bin_r folder has been created, i.e.

khadas@biped1:~/aml_npu_app/detect_library/model_code/detect_yolo_v4$ ls bin_r/
libnn_yolo_v4.so  vnn_yolov4.o  yolo_v4.o  yolov4_process.o
  • Move the generated libnn_yolo_v4.so and the yolov4.nb (created at the beginning when converting the model) to the right location on the board
cp bin_r/libnn_yolo_v4.so ~/aml_npu_demo_binaries/detect_demo_picture/lib # ran on the board
scp yolov4.nb <BOARD>:path/to/aml_npu_demo_binaries/detect_demo_picture/nn_data/yolov4_88.nb # ran on the host computer

3. Test the newly-compiled model

• On the board, in aml_npu_demo_binaries/detect_demo_picture, run
sudo ./INSTALL
./detect_demo_x11 -m 4 -p 1080p.bmp 

The above command goes through, but nothing is detected (see below)

khadas@biped1:~/aml_npu_demo_binaries/detect_demo_picture$ ./detect_demo_x11 -m 4 -p 1080p.bmp 
W Detect_api:[det_set_log_level:19]Set log level=1
W Detect_api:[det_set_log_level:21]output_format not support Imperfect, default to DET_LOG_TERMINAL
W Detect_api:[det_set_log_level:26]Not exist VSI_NN_LOG_LEVEL, Setenv set_vsi_log_error_level
det_set_log_config Debug
det_set_model success!!

model.width:608
model.height:608
model.channel:3

Det_set_input START
Det_set_input END
Det_get_result START
Det_get_result END

resultData.detect_num=0
result type is 0

Note that before the conversion, the model was able to detect the person on the image. Below is an inference ran with the yolov4 repo, running

./darknet detector test cfg/coco.data cfg/yolov4.cfg yolov4.weights -ext_output ../1080p.bmp 

Does anyone have any idea as to what could I be doing wrong?

Thank you and a great end of the week to you :slight_smile:
Arthur

@arthurgassner

1. First of all, I suggest you try our official demo to see if the operation is normal.
  1. Try to use my trained yolov4 model to convert

https://gitlab.com/yan518/models-zoo-big/-/blob/master/yolov4-leaky-416.weights

Hi @Frank, thank you for taking the time to help me :slight_smile:

1. I tried the official demo and it works out of the box.
  2. I cannot download the .weights file; the link seems broken (404 error). Do you have another one?

Thank you for your time and a great week to you :slight_smile:
Arthur

@arthurgassner

Thank you for the quick reply @Frank

I tried you .weights and .cfg file and it works perfectly (see below)

I followed the exact steps I outlined in my original post. Is it somehow required to use a “small” input window (416 vs 608)? Or a leaky ReLU?

Kind regards,
Arthur

@arthurgassner I think it’s caused by the activation function, and I’m still researching the cause of this phenomenon, but leaky’s model can basically be used. I also found this problem on other models. Maybe this is a bug in this tool

@arthurgassner At the same time, it is recommended that you use 416 and 608 models, which are too big. After the conversion, the performance on the NPU is extremely poor. 416 is my final consideration that combines various factors.