Multichannel audio on Ubuntu

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Ubuntu installed via OOWOW

Please describe your issue below:

I’m a little bit lost in configuring the AML-AUGESOUND card so that I can send multichannel 5.1 audio over HDMI.
Any pointers or help are highly appreciated.

We will check and feedback here.

@numbqq Any update on this topic? Thanks in advance.

Hello @PaulZH

Dts / ac3 audio are supported.

Hi @numbqq Yes good to know but I’m talking about multi-channel mode as described in PulseAudio - Official Kodi Wiki. I have for the moment only Built-in Stereo with as only port Analog Output, I would like to have HDMI output configured.

Paul, I found that Ubuntu Jammy has pipewire-media-session installed by default, and this limited my VIM4 audio for Firefly Station M2 and VIM4.

This was solved by apt install wireplummer,

Switching audio output to HDMI was now a secondary issue, solved by the Gnome extension Sound Input and Sound Output Device Chooser.

Wireplummer is a vastly superior implementation to pipewire-media-session, and is now recommended by the developer of that software, himself.

See my post, relevant to Armbian Jammy userspace audio, here:

This may be the solution to your issue.

On a side note, I’m not sure that the Kodi link is entirely relevant, despite screenshot evidence on the page, indicating an Ubuntu desktop. The page is from July 2020 and Ubuntu 22.04 with Gnome 42 has undergone changes to pipewire, most all of which are great improvement.

— Jeremiah

Hi @JeremiahCornelius many thanks for this input.

Is the only thing you did

apt install wireplumber pipewire-media-session-

Paul

Paul,
That was pretty much it.
In the just released Ubuntu 22.10 (KInetic), they switched to Wireplumber as default, fo similar reasons to these.

Yes, indeed, but the 22.10 is not available yet for the VIM 4 as far as I can see.