Mobile vim3 project battery and other questions

Hello, VIN can be used to power the VIM3. From the Khadas Docs, under the Beginner’s Guide section… “VIN 5-12V power input”.

1 Like

I believe there is a module sold by a company called adafruit it’s called the fona and provides the mobile functionality as well as cellular data connectivity
Links given below to it if interested
Fona 3g

1 Like

@RDFTKV thank you so much! That’s what I needed to know and can’t believe I missed that xD.
@Electr1 Thanks! I’m definitely going to look into that! I will have to do some research on how to with the Vim3. I like that the m2 expansion is already melded with the Vim3!
Good job Khadas with your product, and the sale you just made because you have created a community around them, I’ll be working out my cart soon! I’ll post some more about my builds as they come together too, if that’s cool.
Thanks a lot guys!
M

3 Likes

I see you are planning on the M2X extension board. It should be noted, that without the M2X, there is no provision to mount an M.2 drive. While a drive can be connected directly to the VIM3 and it will work, the VIM3 has no provision for retaining the drive and it will stick out the side of the VIM3.
The M2X is the solution for that(and more).:slightly_smiling_face:

I just noticed that a link is in the “VIN” where I quoted the guide. That link goes to the VIN to VIN cable used between the VIM3 and the M2X when powering the VIM3 using the M2X’s POE function. One of those cables comes with the M2X.

1 Like

I agree! The M2X extension might even be the most worth for the cost part on the whole device lol. Lots of possibilities that Khadas has added with that board imo.
I planned on using the provided VIN cable to dissect and hook to my BMS so that everything fits nicely and not a mess, while keeping the Vim3 safe from any charge related problems. The device is going to be thick so every mm will count xD. Will most likely take the Ethernet port off of the extension board, if I feel I can do it safely after inspecting the unit and playing with it a bit, to get every last mm I can.
It’s going to be a very long and thick device after setting it up 3 dimentionally hoping to stay around 1/2 inch but we will see.
Device will most likely be a mobile hotspot/daily driven phone if all works out. (Text now and other apps so basically and internet phone in my head) I am into vintage games, modern games, and movies/series so this will end up being a very versatile device when done I’m hoping!
Also have a few other builds in mind cause let’s be honest… These devices can be used as entertainment centers where ever entertainment might need to poke up its head up. Car, home, camping, my hand(as mobile device) pretty much anywhere. I love the dash displays I’ve seen so far and definitely plan on building that. But can be so much more at the same time! Add a few displays and you have a whole vehicle entertainment system! For the price the sky’s the limit. Can’t wait to receive my order and let the games begin! Haha im excited!

2 Likes

I used my M2X on the Edge-V. The Edge-V does not use the VIN-to-VIN cable when mated to the M2X. So like you, I have plans to hack that cable, by cutting it in half and having two VIN connectors for future power supply uses.:slightly_smiling_face:

Look forward to your projects.

And yes, the Truck Dashboard project done by @tschultz is very nice. He is a nice fella and may be a helpful resource for you when you go down that road.

Your enthusiasm is contagious. Good to see. Have fun.

3 Likes

Good luck with your project mate :smiley:
Have fun too !

1 Like

Unfortunately I have yet to receive confirmation email or my order. Says ships after 3 days and I also paid for express shipping. Not sure what’s going on but I’m getting kinda worried! Any help?

Don’t worry you will get your order sorted, as Khadas sales and service is quite good. What did you order btw ? I think VIM3 are under pre-order right now so it will be shipped once their ready. Please check the aliexpress listing. You can share the listing you used here so someone can advice you in detail.

Hope this helps you until someone from Khadas team looks into your order number and give you any confirmation about the order and its shipment.
Thanks.

I ordered a Vim3 and a bunch of accessories from the Khadas Shop… I didn’t see anything about pre-order when I ordered… When will it be ready Khadas?! My order was last month on the 27th

It would be helpful if you can share the item link from aliexpress.

Update: Sorry my bad. He said express. and I though aliexpress, as I dont see Vim3 on sales neither on AliExpress nor on Khadas Shop.

Vim3 is for Pre-Order while VIM3L is available. Thats I asked for link.

it must be assumed that the goods were ordered from the official Khadas website

It didn’t say pre-order when I purchased it. Twas right after the Corona deal over there as soon as it changed from out of stock I purchased it. It didn’t say pre-order there.
If that was the case wouldn’t it say something about it in my email cause I found it.

Believe me, not much time has passed, and I can understand your desire to receive the goods soon :wink:

I definitely desire to receive it! But as I don’t know when I will get it I don’t know if I want to wait that long. It would be nice if the Khadas team might chime in on a time of delivery.

The new batch production is on process, the pre-orders can be shipped out next week.

Have fun!

Will I receive an email after it ships? I haven’t yet.

Nevermind. I finally received my shipping confirmation! Hopefully the rest of my experience is better.
I noticed that on the Khadas site, it says the pre-order thing on the Vim3 page now also, so that’s good!
Almost a month after my order I can’t wait till it gets here! I have already received every other part for this build and with the Corona Virus hitting here I should have ample free time to play!
Thanks guys!
M

Thanks for the order!

Yes, we completed the production last week and you should already received a update with the tracking number.

You can also confirm with @Kingsley with further details.

Good day!

Hi @MadMatt,

Have you received the tracking number? If not yet, please let me know your order number, thank you!

Best regards,
Kingsley

@Kingsley yes I have and thank you for asking! It is still in Hong Kong atm taking its time with everything going on. Thank you guys for caring, I really appreciate it!
Can’t wait to get my package! Getting back excited again hahaha!