Manjaro ARM for the VIM3

How does your bootscript look for the Vim3 mainline?

Why do you need such a complex structure ? There is a well-tested version of the universal multiload, which works perfectly on all TV boxes (including all VIM 1 2 3).

We just followed what the UBuntu image has. If there is an easier way, I am happy to try it out. :stuck_out_tongue:

What Ubuntu image are you writing about ?

The one on the download page:
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM3/Ubuntu/SD_USB/

I understand now. :slight_smile:
This is not the best option to use
(sorry Nick for criticizing your work :slight_smile: ).

Preview 2 released. Credit to strit and balbes.

2 Likes

Will the g12_sound.sh work for audio on the new preview?

Yes it was working when I tried it, SO first you need to uninstall the pulseaudio then reboot then run that script and it works fine until next reboot i guess.
Try Kmix app to get the volume controller back.

Yes, your method and the script worked perfectly on the last release.

Any estimates for an image that can be installed on eMMC? Thanks for doing great work!

1 Like

This can be done using the install.sh script but I was working on it. We need to update the aml-scripts for this to work.
Hopefully this should be tested by the end of next week.
Have you tried using it with SD/USB ? Please share you experience and Feedback.

1 Like

We managed lately to get the Vim3 booting (still SD/USB only) on the mainline 5.4-rc kernel.

This does however result in:

• No sound. The previously used g12_sound.sh script does not seem to work on that kernel. Needs more patches in mainline.
  • No Bluetooth. We sadly also are missing the correct Bluetooth driver for the mainline kernel. Again, needs more patches in mainline.

WiFi is still not working, but then again, we never expected it too, and as many others have mentioned, it won’t happen until the driver gets released by Broadcom (which will probably not happen in the lifetime of this device).
My suggestion to the Khadas team is to pick a better supported WiFi-Bluetooth module on new devices. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope someone from the Khadas team advice us on this.

@Terry or @Gouwa ?

Hi @Strit:
Thanks for the efforts!

We might cannot change the hardware as we have to ensure all the VIM3/L with same configuration or users will confuse then.

As I know, AMPAK will launch new AP6398S module and we will check more details in the next few days and keep updates here.

@numbqq @hyphop might help on this.

Good day!

I know hope for future iterations of the Vim 3 devices are not likely to get other modules. I was thinking more on future devices, like Vim 4 and such. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://github.com/chewitt/linux/commits/amlogic-5.5-integ-chewitt has working audio on VIM3/3L, there are no changes to the userspace config needed. There is currently a BT issue (since 5.4-rc1) that needs to be pinned down, and if using vendor u-boot (as Khadas ships) you’ll end up with weird colours on the screen; suspected to be something set in the vendor u-boot that is not being handled or disabled correctly in the kerrnel drm/hdmi driver.

2 Likes

Has any progress been made on GPU acceleration for the desktop? I understand that an X11 driver doesn’t exist, but will this eventually support acceleration through Wayland? I believe the Odroid N2 has this support.

1 Like

Odroid N2 and Khadas Vim 3 uses the same driver. So they will have equal acceleration support. But it will only be on Wayland and some desktops (like XFCE) does not support wayland at all yet.

1 Like

Hey
@Strit tried to build mainline kernel by just renaming the sound device to AMLG12. Instead of the mainline name of AML-KHADAS-VIM3 or something like that. And added in frddr_a to dts aswell.

He was able to boot in vim3 and vim1 with the same mainline 5.4-rc1 but no audio yet on vim3.

Can you point us out what exactly was missing in the mainline kernel ?