Manjaro ARM for the VIM3

Is that not the random noise in the framebuffer region of the RAM getting displayed ?

I donā€™t understand what you said exactly, but can we solve it?

to my understanding, the answer to that is both no and yes,

I will keep it as simple as possible, but if you need even more explanation DM me,

basically you are seeing something like this:

its just random data in the framebuffer (the region of memory allocated for compositing the screen output, kind of like a blank canvas that gets repainted with even screen refresh)

I am sure you know the basic principle of how RAM works, and that its volatile, looses data when powered off etc. etc.

so every time you turn your device off, this region of memory can be affected by random data electrical fields (by nature and electrical things around you) and it has random data stored in it due to these fields switching on and off the transistors insideā€¦

you can simulate this effect by FIRST entering framebuffer console (ctrl + alt + f1)
and executing cat /dev/urandom/ > /dev/fb0

how to fix ? @hyphop might know the answer better than me :wink:

one more thing, i somehow see random artifacts on screen, minor glitchesā€¦

See below pic, i recorded a high speed video and paused this frameā€¦

linux-rc, mesa-git (glamor on), manjaro kde plasma, all settings defaultā€¦

Its not a big issue, but just for minor milliseconds, i am seeing glitches on screen which fix themselvesā€¦ i think its something related to the screen compositer but not sureā€¦ I am using x11 session, will also try wayland today to see if its any betterā€¦ i will try to take a picture as well, but its very momentary so its difficult.

If you use this then you need to set cpu governor to performance mode else that flickering glitch will happen.

2 Likes

Hi @Spikerguy

I saw in manjaro vim3 github below packages in profile but actually missing in default out of box install using krescue

boot-vim3
plymouth
plymouth-theme-manjaro

Boot-vim3 is just uboot ? Or anything else?

@Spikerguy
I updated a fresh clean manjaro install and didnā€™t install any Linux RC or Mesa git. Just out of box update but I faced issue of desktop black issue. Then I followed advice to create noglamoregl in usrsharex11xorg and now desktop is normal but all colors are inverted, YouTube icon is green and mostly all things are green.

Currently after update, this is my systemā€¦

EDIT : the login page has correct colors but as soon as I enter password and desktop loads, itā€™s all greenish and random colors as shown in above picture.

Which kernel are you using?

uname -a

Try mainline kernel
sudo pacman -S linux
Or
sudo pacman -S linux-rc

I think we are facing the green screen issue again. Conflict with uboot and inverted rgb.

linux-vim have color issue since I moved to tobetters kernel source.

boot-vim3 is not script to boot over Android in emmc.
uboot-vim3 is uboot pkg, that is what will be present in your installation.

Plymouth is boot splash pkg which was recently added.
New images coming soon this week.

1 Like

@Spikerguy

Ok, I installed linux-rc and mesa-git again and disabled the noglamoregl script. I also set the governor to performance for all coresā€¦ Now the desktop colors are good, overall smoothness is much much better and mouse flickering is very improved but still flickersā€¦

I used cpupower-gui to change the governors and till now everything looks much improved.

I also saw that kwayland session is unstable and crashes a lot, is there any way to improve it or better to use x11 for now?

Lastly, if i want to convert manjaro-kde to manjaro gnome, should i follow this arch wiki steps or is there any updated procedure for this nowadays? Or if its not recommended?
THis WIki:

Thanks for your replies and patience.

Downloaded 21.04 from manjaro website and tried to flash thhhrough Krescue but it didnā€™t let me, telling image not suitable for vim3.

I think hyphop should upload the new images to dl. Khadas. Com so we can download in Krescue through proper way.

Also tried to make a boot able SD using 21.03 but it failed to properly boot and went to emergency mode terminal after the initial loading splash screenā€¦
@Spikerguy

You missed that there are 2 images.

1. Boot script version, which you downloaded from the release. Need Android in emmc to boot from sd card.
  2. Uboot version which can be flashed directly on emmc and can be repacked for krescue. I didnt build it yet for 21.04 yet.

There is basically nothing new in old and new releases if you upgrade the old images you will have the latest packages. While you can flash new kresq image once it is available.

2 Likes

Hi @Spikerguy

Whenever i reboot or shut down manjaro, the process hangs at

A stop job is running for WPA SUPPLICANT
A stop job is running for NETWORK manager.

It takes a lot of time, and usually i tend to force reboot or shutdown by pulling the plug. Can you please help in the right direction as i have googled but not found any proper solution.

Thanks for your time.

Hey @Spikerguy

I also noticed something wrong at the end of reboot,

This issue has been fixed in latest mainline kernel. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s the kernel version of Manjaro now.

1 Like

@Yasir_Javed ust disable the watchdog daemon, should fi the issue

I am using mainline linux-rc package in manjaro, below is the uname -r

[yasir@yasirvim ~]$ uname -r
5.12.0-rc5-4-MANJARO-ARM

Tried to disable but got below error.

[yasir@yasirvim ~]$ sudo systemctl disable watchdog
[sudo] password for yasir:
Failed to disable unit: Unit file watchdog.service does not exist.
[yasir@yasirvim ~]$

@Yasir_Javed systemctl command is for systemd based distros (eg. ubuntu or debian)

you have to set the variable some other way, for example:
# echo V > /dev/watchdog

maybe spikerguy can tell you the correct path to the watchdog.

There is a file named watchdog in /root/dev howeverwhat to do with it?

Includes Manjaro :slight_smile:

No idea about the path.

Will have to check it myself.

1 Like