Manjaro ARM for the VIM3

if u need some help wellcome
for example

1. proper kernel config for PCI and NVME parts u can get it from khadas-linux-kernel/defconfig_all at master · khadas/khadas-linux-kernel · GitHub
  2. last mainline uboot which can activate pci port can get from Release 0.8 · khadas/khadas-uboot · GitHub

BTW : linux-5.11 line work fine with pci and nvme already without additional patches

IMHO: u need improve your kernel config ( because at this moment its very strange) and adaptat it for normal usage

2 Likes

is the update coming soon?

I see 2 different problems according to my usage experience.

1. There is no thermal temperature change. Class thermal settings are not changed. Write protected.

2. There is an uboot problem. The first run also gets stuck. Turns on after reset.

GPU issue is already a known issue.
Linux 5.10.5.1 XFCE Khadas vim3 pro

now the update has arrived. It has been upgraded to version 5.10.8. But all usb’s are gone. Please help me!

edit: USBs are working. But only wireless keyboards and mice don’t work. Usb memory and wired mouse keyboard are working.

[fkaraokur@fkaraokur ~]$ uname -a
Linux fkaraokur 5.10.8-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 22 01:57:45 +03 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

How do I find out the uboot version? @numbqq @Electr1

why does uboot matter here?
if its wireless keyboard not working, it should be some other problem…

strange to me too! It was not working at all after the update. After a few reboots this is the last case. Wires do not work, but wires do.

correction: now it’s all working!

1 Like

Hello @fkaraokur
You can now safely switch to upstream kernel as I have added few patches to our main kernel package.

Install it with.
sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers

This will ask you to remove linux-vim
So just confirm it with yes.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I did what was written, but the green line on the left side came again.

linux-headers-5.10.17-1

It will disappear on the next update which is already in testing branch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hi @Spikerguy
new update has arrived. about 1.1GB

The green line is gone again. :grinning:

When I can’t copy the 00-noglamoregl.conf file into / usr / share /, it still gets stuck.

1080p 60hz videos from youtube are frozen on mozilla.

I couldn’t get a full look at uboot. But the opening now has the manjaro logo, not the texts.

[root@fkaraokur fkaraokur]# uname -a
Linux fkaraokur 5.11.1-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Tue Feb 23 17:43:04 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux
[root@fkaraokur fkaraokur]# pacman -Q | grep headers
linux-api-headers 5.10.13-1
linux-headers 5.11.1-1

2 Likes

I will test this tonight.

Can you share output of this command?
inxi -G

Also are you using mesa or mesa-git package?

1 Like

1080p 60fps videos on youtube won’t open. I tried again. But 1080p 50fps opens smoothly. interestingly, chromium played better. Sample video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ 60fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85M_23LinI 50fps

1. When I turned off the device the led would turn blue and wait. It would turn on when I pressed the power button again. Now it is not blue and the green light of the m2x plug-in stays on.

2. The screen blinks every once in a while. There is a momentary shift and then it corrects. This time is less than a second

3.The previous uboot wait issue seems to have been fixed. The device turns on when the first power comes in without restarting.

4.Temperature changes in sys / class are now writable. Previously i / o was saying error and was not changed in any way. As root, I can change the file, but when I restart it comes back to its old value of 80000.

1. When I back up with krescue, it now has 10gb file size. Residual files etc. left over from updates. how can i delete Should I delete it?

2. i dont know mesa or mesa-git

thanks @Spikerguy

[fkaraokur@fkaraokur ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: meson-g12a-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel
Device-2: meson-g12a-dw-hdmi driver: meson_dw_hdmi v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: modesetting s-res: 1920x1080
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.

Hi bro, i was looking at vim3 profile in manjaro github and found kvim2-firmware in device specific packages. Is this correct?

I also noted some other irregularities in the latest Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-vim3-21.03.img.xz.

1. boot.ini file has Odroid N2 configs… processors are similar but its cleaner to rename the files to vim3

2. there are unnecessary s905 files (except u-boot-s905x2-s922) which are better off deleted in the vim3 images.

3. also the dtbs folder has too many files, for vim3 images, we can only keep its relevant files.

I think above process is mostly similar to balbes150 and i know you guys probably wanna keep it simple. But cleaning it up will look more professional, just my thoughts. Please let me know if i can help using some pull request or such.

Regards
Yasir

Hello good find but no kvim2-firmware is a firmware pkg not just specific to vim2 as other similar devices does have the same chips. The name is kvim2 as I started packaging it specifically for vim2 but now it’s been used or other devices too.

Yes you can try it and see if it boots using any other magic word. If you find it then let me know :wink:

Yes this can be cleaned but its kept so I can use single image for multiple device test, it also help other amlogic board users to switch between multiple soc.

Kernel are built for all supported devices not a single device.

It is not a one time thing. You’re welcome to be a maintainer for only vim3 if you prefer it that way :slight_smile:

We do need support from the community to contribute to the project. I agree to your point but what you’re saying needs time and effort. If you’re ready to commit to the project than I am happy to welcome you to Manjaro ARM team :slight_smile:

Let me know if you’re interested in maintaining pure vim3 device support.

2 Likes

I’ll be happy to contribute but I am yet to receive my board. Once it is with me and i have flashed a few ROMs, i wll definitely help you more.

By the way, for the Odroidn2 boot.ini. I think i found the reason inside meson-g12.conf

I am still new to this stuff but will get better over time. See you…have a nice day

2 Likes

Yes. Even I starting the same way :slight_smile:
It is always good to have more users who contribute back.

Happy weekend.

1 Like

Thank you for the amazing Manjaro KDE for vim3. I have played with it for many hours now and its very very stable for me.

Out of the box, i installed below things:

1. Some themes
  2. Linux-RC for mainline 5.12rc3 kernel
  3. Chrome Browser
  4. Enabled AUR (So that i can get many many software)

I did face 1 small problem, i connected my bluetooth headphones and video playing smoothly, but the audio in the BT headset comes after a minor delay. I use this headphone daily with other devices and feel no such delay. Is there any setting i can make to improve this?

Other than that, its a great great system and I’m loving every minute of it.

1 Like

Yes there seems to be a newer bt firmware which some users have tried and reported to be much better. I have used bluetooth on vim3 and it have worked fine for me on my bluetooth headset.

I will try to share the updated bt firmware file with you so you can try and see if that makes any difference.

Good to know that you’re enjoying it.

2 Likes

Hi, during boot up sequence, there is an ugly image which appears momentarily and then boot sequence text starts appearing related to systemd.

It’s not any problem, but do you know any way it can be replaced with some clean boot logo? I will try to take picture and share what i mean… by the way, this is not complain or any issue, just for looking nice every boot.

Yes @hyphop can explain you on this.