Linux Support for Mind?

Will Mind run standard Linux distributions? I’d never run Windows, under any circumstances.

Gnome under Wayland can handle the arbitrary changes in resolutions. Is accelerated Xe graphics support possible?

— Jeremiah

1 Like

Hey there @JeremiahCornelius

Intel raptor lake support has landed since kernel 5.18, and in the latest kernels, Xe graphics is up and ready, you can expect full Wayland performance.

I believe Ubuntu has been tested to work on it maybe @hyphop can verify. Your Mileage of support will vary with the distro choice and the kernel version + drivers it ships with out of the box.

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks tremendously for this. I’m going to take a serious look into Khadas Mind!
I’m very partial to mainline kernels on a Debian platform, and have had excellent device support for the very latest using the zabbly+ apt repository builds for both Intel and ARM64, currently 6.5.1-zabbly+.
https://pkgs.zabbly.com/kernel/stable

— Jeremiah

2 Likes

The Linux Xe driver began as a WiP at the beginning of the year. Sources are available now.
Relevant announcements from the Linux community are here:

1 Like

I can confirm Ubuntu 23.04 desktop works out-of-box without any problem

The same works well latest systems from Debian, Manjaro, PopOS

Welcome to more questions

4 Likes

Thanks much for the input and confirmation!
– Jeremiah

Great news! What about your toolset for BIOS upgrades etc. ?

1 Like

We will release an App for users to upgrade the BIOS.

3 Likes

This is great news! I am also 100% for the Linux use, will you have support for OoWoW? multiple OS install?

1 Like

Question is…does the Mind app have a Linux port? Does anyone know if the Mind with a Linux distro works with the Dock out of the box as well? What about the sleep function when it is undocked?

There is no Linux version at this moment.

Yes, it works.

It will goto sleep mode when you remove the power cable.

1 Like

I’ve been a khadas user for some time. and for some time now there have been no viable procedures for installing an archlinux with a norau lts . Do you think Khadas Mind will support from Oowow a basic archlinux it would be so much easier. And especially more stable than manjaro with which I had a lot of trouble. Possibly EndeavorOS or Garuda. But manjaro is a pain in the ass, so I might as well start from scratch. Thanks for your answers

Hello @HyP31

There is no OOWOW support for Mind at this moment. But I think it is easy to install archlinux on a X86/Mind platform, just follow the normal steps you install OS on a X86 platform, do you have any issues about this?

Excited to read your comment on 23.04 on MIND. I assume that with the Win 11 as stock install, you have dual booting with Ubuntu tested as well?

It can do easily with Linux grub

2 Likes