LIMA in mainline kernel 5.2

according to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.2-DRM-Update
, Lima is coming to us around july maybe,
anyone here to comment on that and tell us we can expect it to also benefit us on our VIM1 and VIM2 ?
tks

^ LibreELEC images are using it for some time already. It’s nowhere near feature complete for all uses but runs more than well enough for Kodi use. Panfrost is used on VIM2, not Lima, but as both are provided as part of mesa we can ship a single image that supports GXBB, GXL and GXM devices.

6 Likes

Hey,
How can we port the gpu drivers used in libreelec for our kernel to work with arch n manjaro?

Just track the 5.2+ kernel and build them (CONFIG_DRM_LIMA, CONFIG_DRM_PANFROST) as both drivers are upstream. For the userspace side both should run with mesa 19.1 but 19.2 (still being developed) will have a lot of improvements. Note that you will not be able to mix ‘GX’ devices using Mali 450 and T820 with ‘G12’ devices like VIM3 that currently require mali blobs.

2 Likes

Yes I built my kernel with CONFIG_DRM_LIMA, CONFIG_DRM_PANFROST, I see a little difference in graphic Processing but that doesnt seem to solve the Video Playback smoothness. I will try with userspace driver update or something.
FYI: I built the kernel with DRM_LIMA =m and not Y, Is that ok ? I am just confused with it, Even though as per my knowledge m should work too right?

I used the right libgl with fb it helped somewhat with the screen buffer.
I also used LibreElec with 5.2 and the Video is perfect to be used as a normal Desktop home PC.

My question is How is libreElec have the right drivers to make use of the GPU and we’re not able to achieve it?

@chewitt or @balbes150 If you can advice me on this I would like to try porting it to work with manjaro.

The VPU is responsible for video playback not the GPU.

2 Likes

GPU = OpenGLES (via Lima/Panfrost or ARM blobs) is used for rendering user interfaces. Hardware video acceleration (VPU) requires VDEC code and firmware. The initial GBM/V4L2 driver for Amlogic was merged for Linux 5.3 but this only supports MPEG2, because the way all new video drivers are introduced is to get one basic codec and the driver framework merged, and then follow up with others in a future cycle; it’s all about ensuring code reviews are a manageable size. Other codecs are already written so you can (and will need to) patch the kernel to add support for H264/HEVC/VP9 etc.

5 Likes

Thank. You for sharing important information about the gpu and vpu.
Is there any way I can help ?

Go test it and find/report the bugs (there are and will be bugs) via the freedesktop.org gitlab instance and help the developers there with any tests/debug stuff they need. LE’s experience with lima is good, but Kodi is also a very simple GLES app so we’re not really pushing boundaries.

2 Likes