LibreELEC for Khadas VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 (SD & USB & eMMC)

The new version 20190703 VIM3 (s922\a311)

4 Likes

Update version 20190708.
For VIM1 VIM2 models, you must use images from the s905_s905x_s912 directory. For VIM3-catalog s905x2_s922.

3 Likes

Today I got VIM3 Pro and checked out the latest 20190710 version of Libreelec on it. After recording of the image changed the DTB version for a311d. Android in not found mode “Local Updates”, so activated the multi-boot mode

Keys Mode (U-Boot is Running Normally)

1. Power on VIM3.
  2. Long press the POWER key without releasing it.
  3. Short press the ‘Reset’ key and release it.
  4. Count for 2 to 3 seconds, then release the POWER key to enter into Upgrade Mode. You will see the sys-led turn ON when you’ve entered Upgrade Mode.

. For tests used USB stick 3.0. System startup - no problem. Except WiFi, everything else works. Just made a full backup of the eMMC (with current Android in eMMC). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey everybody.

I just got a VIM2 Pro and am working on getting LibreELEC on it. (Documentation is pretty confusing for this thing.) Its been hard to find a stable but somewhat up to date version of LE so I thought I would try your dev builds.

I have an existing libreelec install on a RPi 3b+ and want to move my setup from that.
I burned LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.8-devel-20190708164036-f20db18-s912.img to a USB stick and got it to boot okay. (That was the first one that booted for me) One problem I am having is that the fonts in the Estuary skin are all black and cannot change the color. That carries on to the Aeon MQ8 skin as well. I have black font on black background and can’t change it. I have not been able to progress very far because of that, to see if there are other issues with this build.

I also notice that you are not including nightly builds anymore for s912. Will you include them in the future? When do you expect to have a stable version released?

It seems that yours is the only version of LE that is made for VIM2. Do you know if there are or where I might find stable builds of LE 9.02 with Kodi 18.2 or 18.3 (certainly with the old kernel)? I have several systems sharing a common database so I need 18 and cannot go back to 17 Krypton. I tried LE for VIM from the LE site itself but that must be built for VIM1, could not get it to boot.

The only thing I have not tried yet is just to install Ubuntu and put Kodi on that. If I can’t get a working version of LE i might have to try that route.

Thanks

This is a known issue with the current version of the Panfrost driver (in earlier versions everything worked correctly). I hope this will be fixed soon.

Specify what you mean by “night builds” ? As you build and fixes that will be stable and the official version Libreelec to S912.

There are no such versions and never will be. LE developers have completely abandoned the use of the old kernel for Amlogic (it contains many hidden problems, including. allowing malicious users to gain unauthorized access to your data).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply…

Ok… So that must mean that I would have the same problems with Kodi regardless of the OS, on this VIM2. Hmm… that’s a problem. - I suppose you aren’t working on this issue yourself? :wink:

Any suggestions? I 'm hoping I didn’t waste a bunch of cash on this board

Now the holiday period. Soon this issue will be resolved.

One of the panfrost developers has a VIM2 and will be rigging it to run dEQP tests this weekend so that a comparison between T820 and T860 results can be made. The current hope for solving the black text issue is that this will flag some differences that lead to a fix. GUI performance has also regressed (but the GUI is also more stable from the changes that regressed it) and that’s something else being looked into.

6 Likes

Version 20190713.
Now all images use common kernel 5.2.

7 Likes

Hi @balbes150
Thanks for the effort to porting LiberELEC to khadas.
I’m new to this board, and installed the latest rom v20190713 on it with SD card, but i found WIFI is not working in it.
Is this a known issue or did i miss anything.

Thanks.

This is a known issue.

The new version of the LE images 20190820.
Please note, now on the site I upload only one TAR file to update for the entire group of devices.

5 Likes

Hi, Chewitt and balbes150,
any new regarding the x265 decoder?

HEVC works fine on GX hardware. No change (and no real-world news) on G12 hardware.

Thank you. Vim1=GX Hardware?

VIM1=GXL
VIM2=GXM
VIM3=G12B
VIM3L=SM1 (based on G12B)

3 Likes

Hi Chewitt. let me explain in more details:
same VIM1 905x plays IPTV source of h265 with no issues using coreelec.(latest nightly)
On latest Balbes 150 image which is using the latest Linux, Lima and latest tech, it does not work, plays a black screen .
H264 IPTV does work on both .
I thought that this issue is a matter of development , this is why I asked if there are news.
help please

Thanks,
Eli

This topic contains a lot of outdated information. All questions about the launch and operation of new versions of LE with kernel 5.x needs ask in a new topic. In the future, I plan to close this topic.

1 Like