Krescue vs. USB Burning Tool

Still on my first footsteps with VIM3, I’ve come across using Krescue. It’s very handy at writing and dumping eMMC and I would like to build with it my own repository of sytem images.
However, I see that Krescue uses its own file naming convention (i.e. extension .kresq). For this reason I do not understand fully whether the Krescue system can be considered as replacement for the USB Burning Tool. How the USB Burning Tool relates to the Krescue system? Can the Krescue be considered a self-sufficient alternative to USB Burning Tool? Which types of file can be burnt with the USB Burning Tool specifically that the Krescue cannot and viceversa?
Thank you all.
Marco

@mbitsa12 Krescue mainly used for backup system . He shouldn’t be seen as a substitute for burning tools . These are two different purpose tools . The way they work is totally different .

Thank you for your reply. I understand their purpose is different and I can’t burn a .kresq image using the USB Burning tool for sure :smiley:. However I’m having hard time at identifying which .img file is really in a compatible Amlogic burning format. In fact, if I try to burn this here https://manjaro.org/downloads/arm/khadas-vim-3/arm8-vim3-kde-plasma/ the USB Burning Tool complains that “parse burning image fail” ! Also, other .img files for VIM3 do not seem in a compatible format for the tool getting the same error, despite the file extension looks correct.
I would be grateful if you could help me to sort it out.
Thanks, Marco

@mbitsa12 If you use usb-burn-tool to burn a images. You can found those in there .

EMMC images can be burn with USB-burn-tools . USB-SD images can be burn into SD Card . follow up this pages.

1 Like

you are confused, this is the version for usb / sd

Undoubtedly I’m getting confused :laughing:
@Vladimir.v.v actually that image appears booting from SD but in spite of the fact that has messy colors and sometimes a “glitchy” hdmi signal, due to some leftover inside related to a precursor eMMC build perhaps, as I recall now to have read somewhere else in recent past. I will reach out the topic and see how it further fixes eventually. Sorry for having unaware posted my question related to an image not in current support here.

Thank you all for the rest of the answers!
Marco

1 Like

Khadas.docs will help you with this :slightly_smiling_face:
Frank gave you links to firmware and instructions.

Hahaha there are multiple ways to flash image.

There are multiple types of image. The one your downloaded from Manjaro official site is to be used with sd card or usb and will depend on unoot from Android on emmc.
You should always follow the release post of the image as there you will know how to use the image as Arm sbc does not have any standard way of booting.

You can find the flashing instructions on this release post.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-20-04-released/133374?u=spikerguy

For the green screen fix just rename this file in BOOT_MNJRO partition

If booting from sd card
Rename u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext

If booting from usb
Rename u-boot.usb to u-boot.ext

Feel free to tag me if you have any question regarding Manjaro Linux

1 Like

Thank you so much for your hints and making some points (more) clear :smiley:
One still weird thing to me is the reliance on Android V9 into the eMMC for correctly putting the VIM3 into upgrade mode. Can I ask what technical detail stem from?
Thanks also for the Manjaro fix hinted.
Marco

Yes this will change soon once we start using mainline uboot.

You can also flash Manjaro on eMmc after you boot into sd card.

for Manjaro, unfortunately still a little boost needed… I realized that in the BOOT_MNJRO partition is not any u-boot.usb file, where should I take from?

Looks like you haven’t updated the system after flashing.

Update boot-vim3 package using this command

sudo pacman -Sy boot-vim3

This will get you latest boot files.

Thanks for the support.

To a successful result and just for the benefit of the ones who may be reading here with a problem similar to mine, I managed to boot with the correct YUV colors having the following text in uENV.ini (basically, I amended the LABEL original values)

LABEL=MNJRO
LINUX=/Image
INITRD=/uInitrd

# For AML
FDT=/dtbs/amlogic/meson-g12b-a311d-khadas-vim3.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash

@Spikerguy
With colors fixed, I am still experiencing a strange problem with the raster display being striped occasionally by flickering text artifacts. Such artifacts are present starting with the initial diagnostics at boot time and are kept there all the way through until the desktop being completely built. Then, changing resolution from 4K to 1920x1080 appears to fix but undesirably at a lower resolution. I noted that this problem was also present with inverted YUV. I think about a still “lame” uboot. Thanks :smiley:

Marco

1 Like

LABEL is just used for printing and nothing else.
Maybe you renamed u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext

Yes random flickering is present and it is coming from the device tree I assume, changing the resolution does fix it.
Yes hopefully we should be able to move to mainline uboot which should solve some existing issues of booting, screen color and flickering.

Thanks for the update.
Hope you enjoy using Manjaro on your devices.