Krescue on bootable USB?

Hi,
krescue usage is well documented for sd-card or online emmc replacements. But is it possible to boot into krescue from USB and what are the steps needed?

I’m after (ubuntu) image backup from emmc and restore to emmc without sd-card involvement. Using USB and/or network is OK however. Perhaps even dual boot (into krescue or ubuntu) is somehow possible, to skip bootable USB as well?

Nope, far as I know krescue only works from SD card, but you can place the recovery files, on a USB-pendrive :wink:

as far as I know, now it is possible to boot from usb, how it works, I won’t say for sure, the Krescue developer, Hyphop, will better answer you, you can go to his thread with this question

1 Like

Hello, has anyone been able to boot Krescue from USB ?

its can work - but emmc uboot which start your device must support next boot from usb

i will check it :wink:

1 Like

did this work out to be true, much easier with USB in production!

USB boot depends from UBOOT
our mainline uboot support it , but other distros used diff uboot and this feature depends from distro !

Use the Usb burn tool to flash mainline uboot to board. Then insert USB which has Krescue and it will boot directly into Krescue

Both the burn tool and the vim3 mainline uboot files are available on khadas downloads page and also the Krescue SD image which you can write on a USB…

Link :

So if we have used the usb burning tool to flash this onto a board then we can use this approach, for example with this link?

http://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM1/Ubuntu/EMMC/VIM1_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V1.0.10-220108.img.xz

Flashing the mainline uboot (few mb large) will help you boot the board using either a Krescue USB or Krescue sdcard… Whichever is available to you. After Krescue boots, you can install whatever you want using wifi

link to mainline uboot? so i get the right thing?

I believe it’s this one

Flash using Burn Tool:
http://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/uboot/mainline/VIM3.uboot-mainline.emmc.aml.img

Flash using Krescue:
http://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/images/Khadas.UBOOT.mainline.emmc.kresq

Both are same thing, just different files for different tools. You should use the first one if the board is not booting or you want to play safe…

how do we know if uboot is present and the right kind?
for example, for Linux Khadas 4.9.241 #4 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 8 09:10:10 CST 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

is anything in dl.khadas.com - Index of /Firmware/VIM1/Ubuntu/SD_USB/ compatible with booting from an USB dongle? if not, what should on do to enable USB boot?

Still hoping someone can explain how to create and use bootable USB stick for oowow / krescue, assuming that the (generic) Ubuntu image on Khadas SBC is U-boot compatible.

That tool also deserves a better user manual, for less advanced readers than kernel developers.

Hello @ufneeme

maybe you can look at how to install your own image through krescue / oowow shell

These example scripts might guide you, it selects /dev/mmcblk0 (eMMC) as install target, you need to modify it to do it for /dev/sda

in short:

• Flash a suitable image with a compatible kernel to the disk
  • Copy device tree and wifi device firmware blobs
  • Flash the uboot for the device

is anything in dl.khadas.com - Index of /Firmware/VIM1/Ubuntu/SD_USB/ compatible with booting from an USB dongle? if not, what should on do to enable USB boot?

Yes, it can boot from the USB provided your eMMC is cleared, or is set in upgrade mode.
also link updated: dl.khadas.com - Index of /firmware/vim1/ubuntu/generic/

sorry, I must be too old or too dumb. need more detailed explanation…