Khadas VIM4 is coming soon!

For reference

Japanese

I am watching this on a 4GB S905X3 1.7GHz. When playing this video on Youtube, select setting subtitles, auto translate and select your language from the list.

Some body used HDMI in

Eta Prime review

Tv box stop

5 Likes

For reference

It depends. Embedded Linux, which is Linux by far biggest install counts, is more or less ARM only. From that perspective, all desktop Linux installs looks like a joke. Server segment, where RAW performance/consumption matters is just a questions of sales force and can’t be put into the same bucket. Technology is ready for awhile.

What many people wants here is - “forced” universality and openness in the world that was designed to be diverse and therefor a lot more (big) business friendly (protecting IP inside black boxes) is simply wrong. If you look on ARM Linux with x86 eyes, like this “hope we will have the same Ubuntu segment does”, it will always sucks. I’ll skip RPi … your fancy new Apple laptop is also using ARM for more reasons but primarily to protect their IP (real and unreal), which will probably never be fully hacked, or hacked " … when hardware is almost obsolete" like we are used. We hope to catch it but the more they are complicated, the harder and expensive is to hack them and bring to holly mainline, where nobody waits to maintain them further so they are starting fast to break down. Common boot process will help, surely, but embedded world will not get there, since there is no point and when ARM device costs the same, works the same and are efficient the same as x86 … Where is the point?

What zram settings would you reccommend for a 4GB SBC? (in my case, khadas vim 3) . [EDIT] Sorry that’s not on-topic here.

On-Topic: I consider a computer to be a device which, after purchase, I control exclusively. That’s the essence of property – control over the use of an object.
Conversely not having full control of an item I purchase - be it a hamburger, a car or a Vim4 - means its value to me is low or negative.
That much of the global computing community doesn’t seem to understand this point or value property rights is immaterial to my purchasing decisions.
I would like to make this clear, without giving offense to Khadas and Amlogic, and hope to see future products from them which I can support.

For reference

I just got a VIM4 assuming it would have panfrost support, but seems sadly not (ancient kernel version). Is there any other avenue for Vulkan compatibility…?

Any news on which kernel version will be used with Ubuntu?

@Robin_Davies VIM4 uses the 5.4 kernel