Khadas VIM4 is coming soon!

BRUUUUHHH… I mean it just doesn’t stop with my requirement. It also ships with 2.5Gbe ethernet, which is beyond awesome as i have already upgraded all my ethernet cables to cat 8 and slowly also upgrading rest of my infrastructe at home to 10Gbit.

A very simple post from your side, but made my day!!!

1 Like

The edge V with NVMe on the M2 board is much better than a PI4 with SSD on the USB port. Got an Edge V running a LAMP stack and its been doing fine on ubuntu 20.04 LTS server 5.16-rc2. It would be nice if it would boot from the NVMe, now it takes some post OS install configuration that would be a nightmare to maintain at the end point.

1 Like

You’re welcome! :smiley:

(More filler text.)

Hello Fox
At the moment, the hardware supports booting from NVME. The software needs to be updated, which is in our future software support plan.

Edit: check the updated comment below.

1 Like

Hi Khadas Team! Dose Vim4 have NPU > 5TOPS?

Hello Trong

We’ll update more information for VIM4 NPU in this forum thread, stay tuned!

1 Like

Those are good words to hear, thank you Ruby.

The SoC and VIM4 not supports boot from NVMe SSD directly, but the pre-installed OOWOW able to load the OS that installed on NVMe for similar purpose.

You can check the VIM4 user manual below for further information:

Good day!

Just found the git hub info and that appears to be a winner!!!

I really like Krescue and that cloud download should make it even easier for users to install their OS.

I hope Ubuntu 22.04 for all Khadas devices will be released no later than VIM4

@TemplarUndead The subsequent mainline of VIM1/2/3 will also support 22.04. The 4.9 kernel has not yet been decided. For now, VIM4 will be the first to support it.

1 Like

The 4.9 kernel has not yet been decided.

That’s disappointing. My application uses USB Audio adapters; and stable USB audio on USB 1.1 devices (anything less than a decade old) requires kernel 5.10+. :frowning:

@Robin_Davies We haven’t made a final decision yet. But mainline will support 22.04.

Looks like there is no NPU in VIM4

Is that case?

Yep, existing version VIM4 do not with NPU.

I was looking forward to switch to VIM4 with better or same NPU.

Is their an estimate when NPU will be added to VIM4? will be come in higher version like VIM4 Pro?

I’m not entirely getting it. What hasn’t been decided about the 4.9 kernel? Ubuntu 22.04 uses a 5.15 Linux kernel. And Ubuntu 20.04 uses a 5.4 Linux kernel.

It runs fine on 4.9 linux kernel. The image for 20.04 and 4.9 kernel provided on the dl.khadas site is solid.

Please excuse me. I know that ARM mainline (both mainline kernel, and mainline Ubuntu support) is brand new, and I appreciate that I shouldn’t take these sorts of thing for granted.

@foxsquirrel:

That may well be so. But it won’t be true for 22.04 if you’re using a 4.9 kernel (since USB audio support won’t be up to date).

@frank:

You’re using mainline in a sense that I’m unfamiliar with. Mainline what exactly? My question would be: does mainline Ubuntu 22.04 (with a 5.15 kernel) support this device? Are there an plans or roadmaps for getting Amlogic device drivers into mainline (kernel or Ubuntu)?

VIM4 needs vendor u-boot 2019.10 and Linux 5.4 kernel sources, which similar to the vendor Linux 4.9 kernel used with VIM1/2/3 might require nip/tuck but should be usable with recent Ubuntu userspace versions. There is currently no upstream (mainline) kernel support for what Amlogic calls the T7 platform and while A311D2 has a similar name to the A311D used in VIM3 it’s really a new SoC generation and there are some major IP differences that will require all-new code. The 5.4 base moves the vendor kernel closer to a number of modern kernel frameworks, although it sadly remains too-old to sensibly support panfrost (which needs 5.10 or an improbable amount of DRM backporting) so Mali blobs are needed, and the media drivers have been reworked towards V4L2 (amcodec is dropped). Amlogic started to upstream core peripheral support for S4 (S805X2) which is more of an evolution to G12B/SM1 but should be a precursor to SC2 (S905X4) which is closer to T7 (A311D2). From my own conversations with some senior people I’d say that Amlogic is similarly not-quite-committed to upstream support for this generation of hardware as they have been for previous ones; so it will probably happen, but not quickly, and emotive terminology like ‘plans’ and ‘roadmap’ should be skipped to avoid setting expectations :slight_smile:

6 Likes