Khadas VIM4 is coming soon!

Looking on those pictures - I’m curious does it now compatible with TS050 ? I don’t see how it could be attached - I can see MIPI - DSI connector, but don’t see touch screen smaller one. Perhaps new display module is coming ?

@OldNavi You can use TS050, we have combined the two FPC transposons into one 40PIN FPC transposons. But you need a new cable.

1 Like

Well that’s the problem.

Currently i have the Raspberry pi 4 8GB RAM edition with Argonone m.2 case + 2 TB SATA m.2 SSD.

What have i running on it?

• deluge daemon + deluge web
  • Sabnzbd
  • Apache
  • mariadb + phpmyadmin
  • Nextcloud server
  • Icinga2
  • Gitlab server CE edition
  • code server (vs code)

Besides these i want some additional applications such as

• openldap server
  • pxe server
  • jDownloader (headless)
  • Syncthing (easy sync with my NAS that is not 24/7 on)

With the current installed software i am already at around 5-6 GB (idle). So yeah thats the reason i want to have enough RAM to accommodate sudden surges in RAM when all of them are busy at the same time with additional 4 core making it a octa-core. When i saw that there was the question of people also wanting the 16 GB RAM + octa core CPU + low power i was like “VIM4 would you like to marry me?”

I currently have the VIM2 Max as my CoreElec box, but wanted to switch to the Raspberry pi 4 8 GB edition as my LibreElec box (Amlogic stopped supporting S912 soc) and using VIM4 16GB RAM version if it would be released for the low power server.

1 Like

We were hoping for the same thing for one of our products. Also doing stuff with video and plenty of ram is needed for that too. Also need faster PCIe r/w speeds to NVMe, the dedicated USB 3 /PCIe is nice.

Booting from NVMe would be nice too.

1 Like

The sad thing is, although there are hexa and now octa-cores availble a large part of the SCB’s will still stay at quadcores because that “fullfills” the need of many people already + staying at low cost (just look at Raspberry pi 4 still at 4 cores). Even raspberry pi 5 i’m afraid will not deliver octa-cores let alone 16 GB of RAM.

It would be awesome if Khadas would open a pledge something for people like us. Even if for example would only make lets say 100 VIM4’s with 16 GB. I mean i’m sure there are 100 people that would love to have ONE low power server to RULE THEM ALL :smiley: If not people, for sure companies like yours that would even buy multiple not just 1.

Well i think this is already possible. With my Raspberry Pi 4 i have Ubuntu server 20.04 running on the M.2 SATA SSD. Big relief from the nightmare of corrupt and slow micr-sdcards.

Khadas VIM3 booting from SSD: Boot Ubuntu from M.2 SSD - #2 by Electr1

Maybe then Khadas compact SBC isn’t an option for you ? You can’t just increase cores and RAM and stay in the same power budget and PCB size - so far there is no huge jump in chip build tech process. VIM3 is already on Amlogic chip with 12nm tech process. Dunno what tech process is for A311D2. - but hard to believe that it is 3-5 nm :slight_smile: Even despite tech process you have to stay in the money budget - all latest and greatest features will increase cost a much, plus microchips shortage nowadays is far away from the end. Be realistic and try to select a software stack suitable for the HW…

1 Like

Well costs are not the thing i am looking at. I mean even if i would pay for example $200 for it, i would still do it. It’s an investment for the future. That is why i bought the VIM2 MAX back in the day (2018). I though it would be usefull up until 10 years. Not knowing that less than 4 years later it would be useless (no more big CoreElec updates). Besides this, i am trying to live a minimalistic lifestyle so whatever i buy i want it to be used for multiple purposes with less power usage.

One could say well buy a NUC, but again we come back to powercosumption. That is why in the past i also bought a Turris Omnia Router. Replace/upgrade Wifi cards, put a mSATA ssd in it with a Linux container now being my Pi Hole server and still receiving frequent firmware updates.

Do you know another SCB that fullfills my requirements of 8 cores + 16 GB RAM with at least 1 USB 3.0?

Enough in the world - but forget about $200 cost… As I said earlier - Khadas team is trying to make affordable SBC - so they are balancing between many limitation factors, power, size, price and so on…

For what you are looking - perhaps as example - quickly qoogled for Qualcomm® Robotics RB5 Development Platform - 96Boards

Everything has it is own price – more you pay - more you get

1 Like

Radxa Rock5.

(Ignore this part, there’s a post length limit.)

BRUUUUHHH… I mean it just doesn’t stop with my requirement. It also ships with 2.5Gbe ethernet, which is beyond awesome as i have already upgraded all my ethernet cables to cat 8 and slowly also upgrading rest of my infrastructe at home to 10Gbit.

A very simple post from your side, but made my day!!!

1 Like

The edge V with NVMe on the M2 board is much better than a PI4 with SSD on the USB port. Got an Edge V running a LAMP stack and its been doing fine on ubuntu 20.04 LTS server 5.16-rc2. It would be nice if it would boot from the NVMe, now it takes some post OS install configuration that would be a nightmare to maintain at the end point.

1 Like

You’re welcome! :smiley:

(More filler text.)

Hello Fox
At the moment, the hardware supports booting from NVME. The software needs to be updated, which is in our future software support plan.

Edit: check the updated comment below.

1 Like

Hi Khadas Team! Dose Vim4 have NPU > 5TOPS?

Hello Trong

We’ll update more information for VIM4 NPU in this forum thread, stay tuned!

1 Like

Those are good words to hear, thank you Ruby.

The SoC and VIM4 not supports boot from NVMe SSD directly, but the pre-installed OOWOW able to load the OS that installed on NVMe for similar purpose.

You can check the VIM4 user manual below for further information:

Good day!

Just found the git hub info and that appears to be a winner!!!

I really like Krescue and that cloud download should make it even easier for users to install their OS.

I hope Ubuntu 22.04 for all Khadas devices will be released no later than VIM4