Khadas VIM3 is launching on 24 June!

Wow, can you share us more information on this :star_struck:

Of course.
Every year I try to make a big cycling trip thru Europe. In 2 days Iā€™m leaving for a month to Great-Britain.
Iā€™ve got my bicycle with a trailer so I can bring a lot of gear. Iā€™ve got 2 x 24W solar panels and 2 x 26 800mAh powerbanks(and a lot more smaller ones) to power everything.
Iā€™ll film the whole trip, and edit and render the images with the NanoPi M4. I used to use the Odroid C2 for this, but with that I could only render to 720p since itā€™s not powerful enough.
The RK3399 is a lot more powerful, so 1080p or even 1440p is now possible in the same time as the C2 did it to 720p.
But the C2 used 0.9A maxed out, while the NanoPi M4 uses 2A maxed out(clocked at 1.5/2Ghz).

So something with the S922x that can be powered at 5V, and doesnā€™t need active cooling, consumes a lot less and is more powerful is just the thing I need.
The S922x also can watch 1440p videos with software encoding. The RK3399 only up to 1080p.

So now Iā€™ll have to film at 1080p, and render the videos to 1440p for better Youtube quality. With the S922x I could film at 1440p.
Here a video Iā€™ve made last year of my travel gear. That was just a test trip to try out some new gear for this trip.

Iā€™ve got different displays too. A 7" that consumes 0.7A, and a 13.3" 1080p display that consumes 1.2A.
Iā€™ll need my 2nd solar panel and power bank. Thanks to RavPower who sponsored me with it.
2 years ago I made a trip to Denmark and back to Belgium. I only had 1 solar panel and power bank, and it was early in the year(march-mai). Now itā€™s summer and Iā€™ve got 2 of each. So I guess/hope itā€™ll be enough for powering the M4 with the big display.
Greetings.

6 Likes

Amazing, you mean you edit your videos on a solar-powered SBC (NanoPi M4)? Iā€™m guessing you use Linux, with a Linux-compatible video-editing software?

Maybe next time we should aim to make the worldā€™s first solar-powered SBC kit - would be a good project to make a point about the power efficiency of ARM-based mini computers.

3 Likes

Indeed, I use Kdenlive as video editor and Armbian as OS on it.
A solar powered SBC would be easy to do. A SoC thatā€™s very power efficient and that can do sleep, a battery as UPS. And a solar panel to charge. You could make it in a weather tight case so it could run 24/7 outside. Maybe with possiblility for adding camera modules and so. Could even be used in Antarctica as weather station or soā€¦ Endless possibilities. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve made simular things with Arduinoā€™s and esp32. (weather station, LED signs)
Greetings.

2 Likes

I do not see this as a problem!
Obviously it would be much better if I had VTV support.
Plus we can streaming from any other box and watch live tv in the same way.
Iā€™m in contention for Khadas.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I wanted so much, but I canā€™t buy it because VTV doesnā€™t support it.

1 Like

Weather station maybeā€¦video editing - Iā€™d never thought of that.

Weā€™ve come a long wayā€¦well I guess most android phones have apps that can edit simple videos. :smiley:

(Typing this from my inefficient x86 laptop)

2 Likes

I do not even buy it because it does not have VTV support. It was not that hard to have access to four pins so it works on Odroid N2, which works with 3 different tuners.

2 Likes

Are there any tests of big gfx card on M.2 on VIM3 ? :slight_smile:
thx

1 Like

Ok this deserves a share!! So Shared!! And will be buying at the launch! I hope to get rid of my two S905 players. This is going to be a hell of an upgrade! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Starting price is pretty much reasonable, i hope it wonā€™t increase significantly after the starting period.

When i look at my Vim2, which costs 150$, and it pretty much can only be used as a tv box, this is really a great improvement.

This is most powerful soc in tv box/sbc market, and it looks like it is pretty much cheap like most of Amlogic socā€™s.

I canā€™t wait to see my Vim3 in action.

2 Likes

I bought VIM2 with 64GB eMMC and tuner card with $ 141 in total and $ 99 Khadas Tone Board and second VTV with $ 14. The price seems to me right.
And it works simultaneously!

2 Likes

Ok, I just noticed the M.2 will be capable of 2280 chips, does that mean, we could be mounting like 256GB of SSD M.2 storage on it? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Any size of NVMe (up to 2 Terabytes) :slight_smile: Speed and reliability of NVMe is higher than EMMC, and the price is lower. NVMe are standard modules that are produced in large quantities and they are used in PC and other equipment. You donā€™t depend on anyone in the selection and purchase of NVMe. And you can at any time replace this standard module with another (with greater capacity or speed). :slight_smile: If you have USB 3.0 and especially NVMe, buying TV boxes with EMMC size larger than 16 GB, does not make sense. The difference in price between the model with 16 GB eMMC 32 GB eMMC, you can buy a USB 3.0 or NVMe size 100-120 GB. Now eMMC should be used only for primary system location, all data should be stored on NVMe or USB 3.0.

And the best option (which I wrote about and asked earlier in this topic) is the complete absence of eMMC in the presence of M2 with NVMe or SATA. Then the price of VIM3 may decrease even more. :slight_smile: IMHO enough two versions of models VIM3 , 2\16 and 4\16, increasing the size of the eMMC does not make sense. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Fantastic, I can add this way some storage and use it on the go! Thanks balbes150!

1 Like

Note, only NVMe option is supported , SATA option is not supported.

1 Like

Ok can youlittle elaborate this, what is the difference, will I be able to add M.2 storage, etc?

1 Like

If there was a boot option on the NVMe environment it would be great, is it possible?

1 Like

There are two types of M2 modules.

1. SATA they are cheaper, but the speed and other parameters are lower.
  2. NVMe they are more expensive, but the speed and other things much better.

You can find information on the Internet by searching ā€œM2 NVMeā€ ā€œM2 SATAā€

5 Likes

Hi, blondu:
Yep, boot from NVMe SSD directly would be a delicacy for an SBC, but sadly to say this feature still not available for all Khadas SBCs including the Edge(-V), as the SoC not support this feature.

For VIM3 or Edge(-V), if you install the bootloader on the onboard 16MB SPI Flash, SSD will be an alternative media for OS :wink:

4 Likes