Installing Manjaro KDE Plasma 21.2rc1 to EMMC... how?

Hello, I’m brand new to the Khadas VIM3 and pretty inexperienced with Linux and all this stuff in general.

I simply want to install the latest Manjaro KDE Plasma 21.2rc1 onto my VIM3 to run on EMMC as its default operating system, and wipe out any trace of anything else.

I have been searching the forums and reading websites for two days on this now but I’m still pretty confused about how to go about this. The download for Manjaro gives me an ISO file which is not recognised by Krescue.

Can anyone please explain to me step by step what I need to do, bearing in mind I haven’t the foggiest about any of this (yet)?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

why not try Krescue → online scripts → Manjaro → …

Hello, I did, but it isn’t the latest version 21.2rc1. Does it clear EMMC out in the process?

Also, do you know why KDE Plasma is slightly laggy when drag-selecting? And is XFCE laggy like that too? I want a smooth desktop experience, is that just as good as it gets or is it the specific OS that causes that? Cheers

tnx i will update scripts

Also, do you know why KDE Plasma is slightly laggy when drag-selecting? And is XFCE laggy like that too? I want a smooth desktop experience, is that just as good as it gets or is it the specific OS that causes that? Cheers

if 4K used (not usable) ? try to use 2K its kernel driver problems !!!

It happens even at lower resolutions unfortunately. It isn’t unusable, but it’s just annoying. Like when I drag select a big rectangle on the desktop (selecting nothing), the rectangle lags behind the mouse cursor instead of being fluid. This is on a fresh install. Can you think of why that might be? Is Plasma pushing the VIM hard or something? And does it do the same thing on XFCE?

I’m just trying to work out if this is limitations with the OS experience on VIM3 in general, or if it’s to do with the specific build of OS I’m using.

1. I think better submit issues to manjaro developers
  2. Try another OS fedora or armbian or ubuntu and check how its works just 1-2 minutes :wink: via Krescue

Thanks bro! I will try.

BTW: Krescue → online scripts manjaro installation updated to 21.12 from 20211215

1 Like

I installed it but I get reboot loop.

i will this release later !

better submit some logs !!! and more detail about board name and other etc …

I don’t know how to submit some logs. I just want to install the latest KDE Manjaro to my brand new VIM3 pro

oky i will check it maybe @Spikerguy same can check what wrong

1 Like

This one is using boot script as we dropped chainloader so there is no extlinux.

1. Flash Android on emmc using krescue.
  2. Boot into android just to check if it works.
  3. Flash latest manjaro kde vim3 21.12 image on sd card. Link
  4. Insert sd card and boot into it. Complete the user setup.
  5. Sync time.
  6. Run install-to-emmc script from /boot/ with root access.
  7. Onces it is completed reboot into sd card again.
  8. Shut down and remove the sdcard.
  9. Power on vim3 and it should not into emmc with manjaro kde.
1 Like

terrible solution :wink: why need android ?
why not make simple universal image with extlinux config or efi which can work without troubles
IMHO: need follow mainstream mainline uboot and efi

Coz khadas still so devices with Android pre installed.
Once they start shipping edk2 on spi then there will be a standard image.

To then this is the solution to avoid normal users getting confused.

I can also ship mainline image but then it wont work if Android is in emmc.

Hopefully with rk following efi path we should have standardization in arm devices soon.

why u need wait rk or any other reason u can do it already ! same don’t have any problem put syslinux config