Installing ArchLinuxARM on Khadas VIM Pro device

Here you can find the how to. I find forum software not so good for documentation and thus use github pages.

Installing ArchLinuxARM on Khadas VIM Pro device

Feedback is welcome. This how to could be improved for sure, but it is an start point.

github pages with jekyll-theme (currently tactile), not so good and clean but did not find better jet. Both links are working.

github pages with jekyll-theme

Change log:

• 20170727: rewrite to use Android u-boot because of multiboot activation.
  • 20170615: added ArchLinuxArm keyring and instruction how to use it on ArchLinux. Autboot to ArchLinuxArm on first partition of micro SD card.
  • 20170613: added ‘ipv6.disable’ to bootargs
  • 20170611: added hardware information section, moved know problems to task list
  • 20170608: requirements (u-boot); know problems with WiFI and Ethernet
  • 20170607: language and locale settings
  • 20170606: retyped in GitHub Markdown (URL changed)
  • 20170527: added Authors topic
  • 20170526: added basic system setup
  • 20170525: initial HowTo commit
4 Likes

Great work! And thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Some changes (done this conversion from HTML to Markdown for better collaboration so others can submit changes over pull request):

• 20170606: retyped in GitHub Markdown (URL changed)

PS: Did someone tested this HowTo?

Soon I will publish how to setup WiFI on this device by using netctl and profiles. There is however an Kernel panic when using WiFi mainline driver so it need to be fixed first in Kernel.

1 Like

update see first post. just to note some problem currently with mainline.

Know Problems:

• [ ] USB is not supported on the mainline Linux Kernel yet, see linux-meson (Khadas VIM uses the S905X SoC, also called GXL -> USB is still work-in-progress
  • [x] WiFi problem reported and solved, info could be found here
  • [ ] Ethernet problems: sometimes detected only as 10Mbps and with 4.12-rc4 download will stall and SSH session would be disconnected. Reported here.
    Added:
    I collected as much as possible information and put I second post. Maybe @Gouwa and his Team can check this issue in mainline kernel and help us solve the issue?
1 Like

Just read the first post again, and found you also use the github pages with jekyll, happy to share and do further talking about this :wink:

some update to this HowTo

• 20170727: rewrite to use Android u-boot because of multiboot activation.
  • 20170615: added ArchLinuxArm keyring and instruction how to use it on ArchLinux. Autboot to ArchLinuxArm on first partition of micro SD card.
  • 20170613: added ‘ipv6.disable’ to bootargs
  • 20170611: added hardware information section, moved know problems to task list

Stuff need to be mentioned:
as of 03.Jul.2017 the ArchLinuxARM ships with Kernel 4.12.x stable (ethernet working after first boot)

Know Problems:

• USB is not supported on the mainline Linux Kernel yet, see linux-meson (Khadas VIM uses the S905X SoC, also called GXL → USB is still work-in-progress
  • Ethernet problems: sometimes detected only as 10Mbps and with 4.13-rc2 download will stall and SSH session would be disconnected. Reported here.
    Added:
    I collected as much as possible information and posted to this here.

Maybe @Gouwa and his Team can check and answer question posted by Jerome Brunet or write answer here, and I will post it the mailinglist.

Hum, 1000Mbps Half duplex looks duplex looks suspicious. The PHY is supposed to be a 10/100, right ? or did I miss something ?