Indiegogo Campaign + Edge Developer Samples

Does Edge-V will habe box and heatsink/cooler already mounted?

1 Like

Observations
Underneath CPU Area, Thermal Pad to a Metal Base can help a lot with heat dissipation

Suggest maybe a case that is all Metal top and bottom and CPU can be sandwiched Between Thermal Pads
No Fan, No Noise, No dust, or cat hairs :smiley:

4 Likes

Well @Gouwa asks me to keep things secret for now. :smiley:

Good idea, passive cooling :slight_smile:

Yes we should do some tests for that.

Good its Excellent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From the images I see pity there was not more thru holes in the PCB, round CPU area.
Could have easily mounted Slab of alloy top a bottom with thermal Pad,

A small fan if needed just to keep the air moving
Buts vents and the law of thermal thermal dynamics normally takes care of that must have vents

My fiddling with just the Normal Android Boxes and I have fiddle a few
Never any vents must cost a lot of extra to put in vents…:smiley:
Look forward to you investigations,

And Please a Good 3 to 5 amp Power supply…

2 Likes

Edge support USB-C compatible adapter, which mean that the volage can up to 20V :slight_smile:

We will design a spcify cooling fan for Edge

There are four M.2 mounting holes on Edge board, the two close the USB ports, and the other two close to the edge finger :wink:

Well, I think following can share now :blush:

6 Likes

Correct it would work with current mountings

I was thinking out loud and along the lines of how Computers have mount close to CPU for heat sinks etc.

Would have made a s neat CPU sandwich and casing could have gone around,

Would have been so cool could have used it for a fridge, well not really but would have been:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Almost thought you said that the M2 mounting holes could be used to mount a slab of alloy, that was itself also mounted to a refrigerator!

1 Like

Edge Cooling Fan 3D View:
https://autode.sk/2NYyNvi

2 Likes

I like that it has only one intake, I prefer that in these centrifugal fans.

That would offer more heatsink options. But I am thinking it is too late in the process to add the holes.

No way he would give up the beer’s space for that.:rofl:

I’m speculating, of course.:wink:

2 Likes

Our thoughts are the same. :slight_smile:

By the way, the existing radiator for VIM2 (if the mounting points coincide with the Board) is well suited for replacing the top cover of the case. And it will act as both the cover of the body and to remove heat from the processor.

https://www.amazon.com/Khadas-Heatsink-for-VIMs-Series/dp/B07DDKZ4MV/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527805906&sr=1-21&keywords=Khadas

2 Likes

One top and Bottom, thermal pad Excellent, seems to easy now especially if they line up
Bottom one could just be a block, and fan on top or both if needed :+1:

This is very good news, that edge like vim form-factor with header!!! Because geekbox was very bad to use…

I like this idea too. The only downside could be that the unit cost will go up - more time will be spent on machining a larger block (volume) of aluminium.

A larger radiator would also make more space for a larger, slower and thus quieter fan. We can put this in our to do list for investigation. :smiley:

1 Like

have the vim 2 and loving it waiting for my heatsink and new case to come in the mail before getting back into it as it was getting pretty hot My two concerns with the edge v are #1 how will thermals be compared to the Vim2 and #2 will the M-register be more easily accessible than the Vim2? I freak every time i have to use it as it’s small and far too close to other solder points for someone lacking fine motor skills.

1 Like

Hi Anubis:
Yep, Edge is much higher performance than VIM2 which means that the Edge will have much more thermal also. Here are some efforts we did:

• When we designed the PCB, we keep more copper to ensure better heat spreading from the CPU to other space of the board.
  • We are designing a specified cooling fan for Edge to balance both heat dissipation and lower noises

When we designed the Edge, our engineer @Terry came out the idea that use onboard MCU to manage the upgrade modes, and we already achieve that just press the Function button 3 times than Reset button, the Edge will boot into upgrade mode. We still keep the M-Register for some case the MCU firmware works fails.

Thanks for the feedback.

Good day!

3 Likes

More details available at Khadas Blog now:

2 Likes