I’ve got a question regarding speed.. using Ubuntu 22.04 server…

So I received my VIM4 in the mail today and got it hooked up and installed Ubuntu 22.04 server using oowow… all was fine. I’ve got it running via wifi only at the moment.

However, the command line shell seems a bit slow to me — my Raspberry Pi (RPI) 4 feels very snappy compared to the Khadas which I know is quite a bit faster CPU horsepower-wise…

Maybe it’s just that it’s early in the development game with Ubuntu and the OS’s not being as mature as they can be… I wasn’t sure if I was the only one that noticed this or not.

When I mean slow … let me explain. when I type keys on the keyboard, it takes a moment for the Khadas to respond and show what I typed — whereas the RPI is instantaneous. Perhaps the drivers just need time to mature? I know that I’ve seen some comments about WI-FI lately and perhaps it’s something on that end of things … eventually I’d like to hard-wire it to my gigabit switch and see if that makes any difference or not. But thought I’d just throw it out there…

Hi @ps23Rick latency in ssh was one of the symptoms I experienced with my WiFi issues. Yet to be resolved on the WiFi network where this was occurring, you can read some of blab on this in posts here. One thing to check is both a ping from the VIM4 and ping to the VIM4 from another machine. I was seeing ping times in the 100+ ms range on the WiFi that was not happy with the VIM4. One a Google mesh WiFi now, I see ping time under 10 ms. Still not super, I have a RPI 3B that yields lower ping times, but much better that the latency issues I was seeing. Good hunting!

Thanks… I just tried that as I’ve got the RPI4 still running but it’s not exactly a perfect comparison as it’s not using WI-FI but hard-wired. It’s average ping times to another machine is 2-3ms vs about 50-70ms for the Khadas. I’ll probably try hard-wiring the vim4 in the next day or two and see how it fares. Thanks!!