How To Restore to eMMC From USB

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

OOWOW

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas official images

Describe existing issues.

Here is my method to restore an image file (.zst) from a USB stick to the eMMC.
To avoid any problems, make sure you erase any existing OS in the eMMC first. I find that a quick erase works well.

1. Boot into OOWOW. Exit the Wizard to get to the main menu.
  2. Select ‘8 Advanced’ and Okay.
  3. Select ‘3 eMMC storage’ and Okay.
  4. Select ‘2 Erase eMMC Fast’ and Okay.
  5. Select ‘YES’ to erase.
  6. Select ‘1 Back’ and Okay. (back to Advanced menu)
  7. Select ‘1 Back’ and Okay. (back to main menu)
  8. Plug in the USB stick with the image file on it.
  9. Select ‘2 Write image to eMMC’ and Okay.
  10. Select ‘1 …/ (two dots and a slash, moves up one directory level)’ and Okay.
  11. Select ‘1 USB-sda1- …’ (this is the USB stick)
  12. Select the image file ( .zst backup file) that you want to restore and Okay.
  13. Verify that the displayed information is correct, then select ‘WRITE’.

The image file will now be written to eMMC memory. When the write finishes, reboot your Vim1S and your restored OS will be loaded.

4 Likes

this step not necessary in most of cases

Hyphop,
You are correct, of course. I must have made a mistake the first time I tried restoring, and I thought
that the problem was because of the Android operating system that was in eMMC. So I tried it again,
and I was able to overwrite Android with Ubuntu without having to erase the eMMC first.
Being able to swap operating systems this easily is an experimenter’s dream, besides being a practical method of archiving the setup you’ve taken care to get just the way you wanted it. Great job, Khadas.

1 Like

I follow the same steps but it was not successful. I used vim4

After that I reboot. But it doesn’t turn on, so it’s like it’s constantly restarting.