How to get started with dual camera and depth sensing on VIM3

Hi,

We are looking into getting started with the Khadas VIM3 and are hoping to do some work with dual cameras for projects using depth sensing etc. We dont know too much about it right now and so want to check we are on the right path…

We found a waveshare camera which looks like it would do the job - and the product page for the VIM3 says it supports dual cameras. Although, I can only see one MIPI connector on the VIM3, and the camera appears to need two.

Will this camera work with the VIM3? Can anyone explain the best way to get started with dual cameras and depth sensing on the VIM3 - or can anyone point us in the right direction to learn more about dual cameras and depth sensing?

Thanks!

@d3-worgan VIM3 android firmware has supported two usb cameras working at the same time, you should install the dual usb camera app

I am also interested in dual cameras for my robot head (two eyes) and depth sensors.

The easiest way is to buy a cheap USB Dual camera setup from Aliexpress (for 50$ USD). These systems have anti-distortion lenses and also syncronized pictures which is needed for depth sensing

I have tried a few Pytorch depth sensing codebases on my main computer and it does work, but not as well as I want it to. If it does work really well, it may be worth it to port to the Khadas NPU. Let me know how your thing turns out

@jasonl @K_W11 thanks for the advice, it looks like dual USB cameras are worth a look.

To answer a question I asked further up, the WaveShare camera we were looking at will not work - and nor will any dual camera that requires 2 MIPI lanes. I found another post on this forum which explains that the VIM3 can manage dual MIPI cameras, but it only has a single connector (I thought so)… To use dual MIPI a special adapter or something would be required, which arent readily availble :frowning: I cant seem to find that post now, but will put a link here if I bump into it again.

The post mentioned that potentially the dual MIPI could be used if an adapter was created or something similar, but there were none available at the time. If anyone knows if there has been progress on that it would be interesting.

Anyway yes will have a look for a USB camera and let you know how I get on

Thanks!
Dan