How can I set permanent fan temp triggers

Which Khadas SBC do you use?

VIM3

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas official 4.9

Please describe your issue below:

I’ve read this manual for setting fan temperatures: VIM3/3L Cooling Fan [Khadas Docs]

But once I reboot it’s all back to default settings. How can I make these changes permanent?

Hello @haste

Please refer to the config file usage, and how to make permanent settings such as fan control.

https://docs.khadas.com/products/sbc/vim3/configurations/user-config#fan-setting

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t see any option for setting the fan temperature for low, mid and high.

I tried adding trigger_temp_low=65 to env.txt, but that doesn’t seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

@haste those settings cannot be set permanently by config as they could cause damage to the board if incorrectly set trigger temperature.

The workaround for this is you can add the line that you want to use to configure the trigger temp to /etc/rc.local

in your case, add echo 65 | sudo tee /sys/class/fan/trigger_temp_low to the rc.local file.
and it will be run on startup.

Regards.

1 Like

Thank you. For those interested, you’ll need to configure all three temperatures and change the temp_high first, temp_mid next and temp_low last. Otherwise it doesn’t work.

Example /etc/rc.local

# Fan temperature
echo 70 | sudo tee /sys/class/fan/trigger_temp_high
echo 67 | sudo tee /sys/class/fan/trigger_temp_mid
echo 64 | sudo tee /sys/class/fan/trigger_temp_low

1 Like