Graphics performance aosp 12 vs aosp 11

I’m using a VIM3 to run Android. I’ve successfully built the latest Android 12 aosp branch with kernel 5.4 and it works pretty great, but there are some graphics/gpu stutter issues that are visible sometimes. Is there a known fix for this perhaps?

Would Android 11 have better performance? In aosp the device config for Android 11 is not correct and I’m not sure how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated so I can test Android 11 too.

Hello, we are already arranging the adaptation plan for Android 11.0, and it is expected that the beta version of the firmware will be released before the end of the year. Please look forward to it.

That is great news, but I do want to build my own firmware as I need to customize it.

Is there a public branch that I can use with additional changes for Android 11?

There is no open code for Android 11.0 yet, I’m sorry

OK, that’s too bad then :slight_smile:

The aosp 12 build is very close to being usable for me, but I’m not sure how to debug those graphics stutters. And I think it’s likely a driver/kernel issue…

For aosp Android 11 changes are needed to produce a super.img which I haven’t looked into yet. Maybe you can share the changes to build Android 11 from aosp without any additional changes?

Then you can manually modify the GPU frequency and see if it has any effect?

kvim3:/sys/class/mpgpu # ls
cur_freq domain_stat gpu_err max_freq min_freq mpgpucmd scale_mode util_cl util_gl utilization
GPU frequency

View current frequency
cat /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

View current usage
cat /sys/class/mpgpu/utilization

View frequency adjustment mode
cat /sys/class/mpgpu/scale_mode
Default 1,: automatic adjustment; 2: manual adjustment; 3: trube mode, running at the highest frequency

Can be modified via echo

Manually adjust gpu frequency
echo CLK_LEVEL > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq CLK_LEVEL: 0, 1, 2 .....

maximum frequency
max_freq

minimum frequency
min_freq

Hmm I don’t have those files, does that mean it runs on software rendering only?

I’m using the 5.4 prebuilt kernel, and I also checked 4.19, but 4.19 is performing worse on Android 12.

Could you please share the Android 12 installation file?

I don’t have it available for download, but you can just build it yourself using these instructions:

I used the 5.4 kernel, and have set TARGET_BUILTIN_EDID=true, that seems to work best for me.

1 Like

Hello, when I run a program only using the GPU in the Khadas vim3 pro board, the content of /sys/class/mpgpu/utilization is always 0. Do you know the reason? And is there any other method to monitor the GPU utilization?

Hello, are you using Android 12?

No, it is ubuntu with linux kernel 4.9.