GPU and hardware video support

device tree will load the module with =m so no need for =y

So you suggest you suggest i. Use =m?
Edit: Put it on y as it will be used for kvim1 anyways.

Put it to build with your config file with lima enabled.

Been 5hrs now still compiling on vim1.
I used this command
makepkg -sc --noconfirm

Make config file had makeflag commented out so i assume it is only using single core.

Next time i will do makepkg -sc j4 --noconfirm

Hope this will make use of all 4 cores?

Set the “/etc/makepkg” option in the configuration file to automatically detect available kernels. Provide good cooling, I have necessarily on all equipment established the good system cooling with fan. I use the build command “makepkg -s -f”

I have the lima enabled kernel ready,

Will built an img for it, is there any other driver required?

Will be installing
xf86-video-fbturbo.git
xf86-video-odroid-c2

From archlinuxarm. Will this be enough? Or M i missing something?

Manjaro-LXQT-Linux-5.0.2
Boots until it is ready to start sddm and desktop environment.
Failed to load the desktop environment with LIMA in kernel.

Img Link: Here
Kernel Link: Here
@balbes150 Can you please try to boot and check what is causing the issue ?

Have you checked these packages for which kernel ?

Have you added the right version of mesa and the rest of the components for LIMA to work ?

Yes mesa19, what other packages?

These are for archlinux kernel only. Well yes that’s a good question. I must be for 4.19.

to get started, achieve stable operation of the system without LIMA, and then you will try to add it.

I m not that expert to know how to archieve it?
Can guide on it?

Use a kernel version without LIMA.

If I use without LIMA then no HWdecoding and graphic drivers so Desktop environment is useless without it.

I will try to use without LIMA and install the kernel over it. And also try different user space drivers to see if any matches.

Thanks anyways. If you get any lead on how to make the graphics work on it then please do guide me on that as without graphic drivers DE are not usable as they lag alot when any browser or video is opened.

I was able to boot with the kernel where I have added Lima. I have Mesa 19, but when I do glxinfo | greo OpenGL there is no mention of LIMA.
As per the upstream report, LIMA was onlt accepted in Linux Kernel 5.2 and in Mesa 19.1.

So maybe we need to wait? or is there any way to add it to 5.0.2 ?

Any support or guidance from Khadas team ?

You’re wrong. HW is only needed for full screen video playback. This is not required for a normal desktop system. Everything works at the right speed. If this is not the case in your manjaro image with LXQT, you need to understand the settings and packages in ArchLinux (why they are poorly optimized for ARM). There is no such problem on Armbian. Without HW desktop VIM1 works with normal speed.

1 Like

Interesting article https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Lima-DRM-Ready-For-Linux-5.2.

I tried it too. There is no HW Support, DE works fine until someone loads a youtube video or a Movie, The video is playable not watchable as CPU is used at 90% and above. I tried loading Libre Word and it takes 50% above CPU for using the Libre as the htop clearly mentioned the CPU load is for libre video rendering, similar case for Firefox with youtube on. When the videos are played in full screen then I can see the frame changing, that means the framebuffer is also a concern.

If you say that armbian works fine then I will do some more digging with armbian and get back to you with more details.

The reason I mentioned this is the for DE to work smoothly we need GPU HW support, As DE is used for mostly GUI based applications which utilizes quite good amount of GPU.

I will do some more thorough test for you and take screenshot with the CPU load and its details.

Another confusion is the manjaro team who tested manjaro LXQT on oc2 said the youtube works fine on firefox with minimum cpu load as the graphic is processed by the GPU but heavy load on RAM, I wonder how did they make the GPU work on oc2?

This was my reference to know that Lima will be added upstream in linux 5.2 and mesa 19.1

Tried to install kodi and run it but it crashed due to display issue.
Crash Log Here

Hello,
Finally I was able to Install lima drivers in Manjaro KDE using the libgl7-aml but it have bad fb rate.

my results for dmesg | grep lima shows me the lima drivers. Screenshot below.

Also When I am running glxgears I get 200fps on 2D.

Somehow able to install kodi but error on loading it.
Error on loading Kodi

kodi.bin error while loading shared libraries libcdio.so.19: cannot open shared object 
  files: no such file or directory 

Any suggestion ?

1 Like

compile the missing dependency?

I didnt try it. Will try it tonight, but can. You advice which one i have to compile.?