FreeBSD for Edge / Edge-V

Thanks @SleepWalker

I ended up erasing the SSD with uboot, and booting up Krescue, I then connected Wifi and downloaded the BSD image that way.

It booted up fine, but I do see some bugs.
For example. I managed to install some packages with “pkg”, but trying to install openbox fails with the following error:

Undefined symbol regcomp@FBSD_1.6

Also I get the same error when I try to use “startx”

EDIT: I tried your install method above, and I can boot the image of SD fine, and I can login as root. But what now? The BSD instructions you linked are not relevant here, how do I Install to SSD?

I am only getting half the picture here … :wink:

1 Like

@bmentink
A very old image is installed from Kresque ;-). It is not compatible with the existing binary package base.
Write this one on the SD CARD
https://personalbsd.org/images/FreeBSD-aarch64-13.0-RELEASE-Khadas-EDGE-20210702.img.xz everything will work with him.
If you do not listen to my advice, you will simply waste a lot of time :wink:

2 Likes

i will update FreeBSD image for Krescue soon

3 Likes

@SleepWalker

If you do not listen to my advice, you will simply waste a lot of time :wink:

So, following a video’s instruction, that is on the official web site’s help page is not the correct procedure?
If Krescue is not up to date, then MY time is being wasted. :innocent:

All I asked from you is instruction on how to do the “normal” install. I followed your instructions, but all the image does is boot into a root user, what then? Or is it mean’t to do something else? I don’t see any sort of install program. You forget I am a brand new user … give me some slack. I am trying to find how things work.

@hyphop
Thanks, appreciated.

UPDATE: My installation of the recommended image above.

1. Put image on card
  2. Tried booting image with @SleepWalker method above by booting with Func/Reset key sequence.
    All that happens is that the screen flashes the Khadas logo every 7 seconds and the PCB LED stays red.
  3. So, booted Krescue SD and erased SSD.
  4. Inserted the FreeBSD SD card, The FreeBSD SD card now boots correctly.
  5. I am presented with a Login: prompt, to which I enter “root”, now I am in the shell.
  6. Eventually a mouse cursor appears … NOTHING elese happens, no installer nothing.
  7. I cannot find an installer on the SD card … I give up. I am presuming you DON"T have to do a manual install as that was never mentioned …

So unless you actually give me some help here, I can’t use this thing … just working with what I have.

1 Like

You have booted FreeBSD successfully and can do
whatever you want like installing Xwindows or
running bsdinstall and installing the system on the eMMC.
Run command
bsdinstall :slight_smile:
This is Live SD card image

@SleepWalker
Thanks! However, after installation to the SSD card, and logging in to the new system. I have an issue with pkg mirrors. I cannot do any pkg installation or upgrade, see the attached photo for details.

I booted up again and ssh’d into the board, the error is similar:

pkg update
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from Index of /FreeBSD:13:aarch64-default/, please wait…
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=Internet Security Research Group/CN=ISRG Root X1
1092689920:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:/usr/crochet/src-release-13.0/crypto/openssl/ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=Internet Security Research Group/CN=ISRG Root X1
1092689920:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:/usr/crochet/src-release-13.0/crypto/openssl/ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:
pkg: Error fetching https://pkg.personalbsd.org/FreeBSD:13:aarch64-default/Latest/pkg.txz: Authentication error
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: ‘ports-mgmt/pkg’.

Seems the above URL is broke. (It has a ‘:’ at the end of it…)

Did you test this image before you posted it?

@bmentink

Please set the correct system date and time and everything will work.
For example so

service enable ntpd
service ntpd onestart
pkg update

Of course, all images have been tested and everything works.

Take your time, this will allow you not to make mistakes.
You have not configured the exact time setting in the system during installation
and chromium will not work for you if you do not do this.
This can be fixed in the way I described.

The system is configured for my package repository and it contains chromium
if you want to switch to the standard repository, edit the files in the directory
/usr/local/pkg/repos/

PS:
For test repo
fetch https://pkg.personalbsd.org/FreeBSD:13:aarch64-default/Latest/pkg.txz
not
https://pkg.personalbsd.org/FreeBSD:13:aarch64-default/Latest/pkg.txz:

1 Like

Take your time, this will allow you not to make mistakes.

I did not make mistakes.

Maybe ntpd service should be enabled by default, especially if you have dependencies … don’t you think?? You should not rely on the user to “have to” select an optional install step.

Also ntpdate service should be enabled by default.

1 Like

I don’t know if you realize this, but you’re coming off sort of ungrateful of SleepWalker’s efforts. He does not work for Khadas and is merely a person who has spent quite a bit of time and effort making this work for himself, and he was kind enough to share the fruits of that labor with the community.

3 Likes

@bmentink

Thanks for the constructive comments.
I will take this into account in the next assemblies.
Now the repository will be connected via the http protocol, not via https, so it is certainly better.

And even if the user does not set the exact time, the pkg command will still work.
I want to note that in my image the nptd service is running by default planned to make as little changes as possible to the standard bsdinstall utility,
I just made it correctly create the partition table for SCBs on Rockchip.

Thanks @microdude for the support, I appreciate it.

3 Likes

@microdude I am in no way intending to be ungrateful, I know he is doing a great job. His visible work in fact made him look like the maintainer of this code, since there is no way of telling who are the maintainers. Apologize for the incorrect assumption.

1 Like

Relax guys: @bmentink and @microdude,

It is okay to share good feedback and I agree with @bmentink that NTP should be ON by default, which will help many users.

Just to clear a misunderstanding; I don’t mind if some forum users’ replies sound rude, but as a community we must understand that not everyone has English as their first language.

As mentioned by @SleepWalker, he will look into it in the next release.

Please do donate to him at https://personalbsd.org/, he accepts PayPal donations. He has been providing his own time and effort for more than a year already.

Let us work as a community to improve the quality of the built images by giving critical feedback to Sergey so that he can continue to improve them.

I have been using his images for a year now, on two of my RK3328/3399 devices.

Thank you for testing the images.

Cheers.

1 Like