Extreme cooling help

What we need is a peltier that fits on the older VIM 2 heatsink, the fan on the older VIM2 heatsink sits above the CPU we could stick that to the older VIM2 sink then cool the peltier

Do they make smaller peltiers that could mount to that older VIM2 sink?

Hyphop and Tsangyoujun were using a thing called a Black shark Funcooler
(a cooling device for alleged ā€œgaming phonesā€)

which basically is a small Peltier powered by USB strapped on to a tiny heatsink and fanā€¦

@BowerR64 you can get this small peltier (30x30mm) on amazon.com
it will fit on the VIM heatsinks

You can get this one Here

They rate it 5v and atleast 2-3A power consumption , you can just search for 30mm or 25mm peltier module and see the other ones available

how much will it justify its $ 22 cost?
:point_up::grin:

Well I think the temprature will be 10Ā° - 12Ā° Celcius, This is just a bottleneck of the smaller size, and lower voltage, a bigger one of 40x40mm and 12v will go below 0Ā°C
and the power will probably be 12v and 3-4 A (65w at max probably)

@tsangyoujun I have a little request, can you run those thermal benchmarks with the Black shark Funcooler, again but instead of the solid Iron block use a few coins (wider the better) and have each one sandwiched with a tiny blob of Artic silver ? try to use less number of coins and make sure the coins are as wide as possible covering the entire SoCā€¦

1 Like

what denomination of the coin is better to use, and what currency?
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Generally most coins are made of steel plated with nickel or copper,
The best one in my opinion are American Pennies made in 1980 or older, they are 95% copper and 5% Zinc (man ! was America shelling out a LOT of resources back in the dayā€¦ )

They will act like copper shims (as a replacement for actual pieces of copper)
Of course using actual pieces of copper is going to be easier

For the sake of availability, I guess some 1 Yuan coins should workā€¦

Thats just what i did, i got rid of those flat gell gummy bears that came with the new VIM sink and replaced em with the copper shims and artic silver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJRZP9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you go on the Khadas.com site they have a listing for the passive heatsink and with it they list the gel pads and the thickness it says 1.6mm for the VIM1,2,3 and 3L and then 0.8mm for the Edge

So i found a pack of the copper shims that had those thickness in the 15X15mm size and they fit all of the VIM boards i have.

I left the gel pads on the ram and emmc chips they are fine with the gel pads on this

1 Like

In China, we are a cashless society. :smile:

Not even a single coin ? come on, you definitely should have something laying around, I know that even in the modern electronic world, with e-payments and other stuff, couches and cushions and some random ladies jewellery boxes are like treasure chests, put you hand in the and you can get various stuff, coins, keys to random houses, and metal pins, but mostly some random pizza crusts and bits of crunchie munchies that fell in there years ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Try your Luck and see if you can get some coins out of itā€¦, somehow :joy:

1 Like

I think youā€™ve got a chance, buddy
:wink:

I have piles of currencies that have gone out of circulation years ago,
all made of some Aluminium and stuffā€¦ they have even started to corrodeā€¦

1 Like

there are probably many sunken treasure ships in the Ocean
:ship:

Iā€™ll see if I can find some small, shiny metal objects. Time to enter ā€œbird modeā€. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the term is called ā€œEagle Eye modeā€ :thinking:
of course any little birdie will do the jobā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

its funny about the coins, i remember years ago first exbox had issues with ā€œring of deathā€ and a solution was stacks of pennies,

i put a couple on my roku because it stutters sometimes and i suspect its heat so i tried a couple with compound. i should replace em now with my copper shims now i have em

what thickness are coins? penny? dime? nickel?

1 Like

did you just say ā€œXboxā€ ?, funny thing is that I have an Xbox 360 but with zero games,
I was probably 10 years old when I got mine as a xmas gift, to bad it only came with only one stupid game where you just wave your hands aroundā€¦

My parents wouldnā€™t get me games for it however, because apparently ā€œCall of Dutyā€ is a very ā€œviolentā€ game, so I am stuck here for 8 years with no games to play and a 135w power guzzling Xbox, which is basically a deadweightā€¦
:triumph:

regarding coins, you can refer to this:

When I left the states, I wanted to take something memorable with meā€¦
Apparently I got out of hand and started collecting all the coins I could getā€¦

Yep you are looking at precious pre 1980 95% copper pennies, every single quarter minted for each state, and why not even toss in a couple of eurosā€¦

Texas?, Michigan?, Utah?, Iā€™ve gotteā€™m all :smile: :sunglasses:

This is just the scratch of the surface, my dad probably has a box with a lot moreā€¦

1 Like

you mined well, buddy
:+1::grin:

1 Like