EDGE-V bug thread [ANDROID NOUGAT]

So I thought it might be useful to start a bug thread for users to post bugs along with screenshots (if necessary) & details of how to replicate them if possible in order to be able to provide this feedback to help devs and get them fixed much more quickly.

Hopefully devs will post to let us know that they are taking note of our feedback and they’ll be implementing the fixes :slight_smile:

It makes sense to refer to the latest version of NOUGAT so that everybody is on the same page. No point discussing bugs in outdated versions.

So I’ll start with what Ive found so far with the Edge-V running Edge_Nougat_V190614.

Screen rotation bug.

The device seems to be trying to rotate the screen (90 degrees to the left) for some apps as if it were a cellphone. There is no way to disable this as far as I can tell and its forced the dock for my launcher (Nova) to the right hand side of the screen. There is no way to fix this from within the launcher and it isn’t supposed to be possible to place the launcher there. Also had this bug with AnTuTu benchmarking app.

Bluetooth

So far, I am unable to connect my mouse or keyboard as a bluetooth device. These both work fine with my VIM-2.

I’ll add more as I find them, please add yours.

2 Likes

Another weird bug

When the mouse pointer touches the top or bottom limits of the screen, the contrast of the whole screen changes/alters whilst the mouse pointer is there.

Brave browser crash

Whilst using Brave browser I’m getting this crash periodically, I’m not sure what specifically is setting it off, it happens on random webpages.

At first I get

“Brave isn’t responding” and I’m unable to select any of the available options.

Then, after 20 seconds or so I get “process system isn’t responding” and I can’t select any of those options either. To get out of this, I hold the power button and select restart…

The screen rotation bug should be fixed in Android Pie that is almost released.
If there is still a problem, I’ll fix it to always be landscape.

I’ll test bluetooth when Pie is released and also add Sony PS4, Xbox 360 controller support.

For Brave browser, please check if you can get a logcat after it crashes.
You can try Kiwi browser that is also optimised and have extra privacy settings.

2 Likes

Try set:
persist.demo.hdmirotation=portrait
ro.sf.hwrotation=90
to fix screen rotation.

Or:
persist.demo.hdmirotation=landsacpe
ro.sf.hwrotation=0

The screen rotation bug should be fixed in Android Pie that is almost released.
If there is still a problem, I’ll fix it to always be landscape.

I’ll test bluetooth when Pie is released and also add Sony PS4, Xbox 360 controller support.

For Brave browser, please check if you can get a logcat after it crashes.
You can try Kiwi browser that is also optimised and have extra privacy settings.

Thanks for your response! Good to hear that the rotation bug should soon be fixed and that were getting Pie soon and PS4 and xbox controller support will be received well I think.

As for the Brave browser response, is that a log file you’re asking for? I’m not experienced with troubleshooting Android… please explain what it is and how to do it and I will the next time the bug happens.

I’ll try that other browser but would prefer that I can use any app from the app store in the longer term.

Edit - also for your information. I’ve had this Brave browser bug on the latest build for my VIM-2 also. If you solve it,you might want to make the adjustment to your VIM-2 (and VIM-3?) firmwares also.

Try set:
persist.demo.hdmirotation=portrait
ro.sf.hwrotation=90
to fix screen rotation.

Or:
persist.demo.hdmirotation=landsacpe
ro.sf.hwrotation=0

I don’t know how to do that within Android I’m afraid. Are you talking about modifying some config file?

Those settings are in the /system/build.prop file.
You need to root to be able to modify it.

Or you can connect with adb to a PC and modify the file.

How to get a logcat:

A simple Android app to get a logcat is with syslog app, download from APKPure store or sideload it.
But you must be rooted for it to work.

A logcat after Brave browser crashes can also help identify that problem.

3 Likes

In Nougat the virtual keyboard keeps popping up when a wireless keyboard is connected. I have disabled “show virtual keyboard” in the physical keyboard setting. Any way to correct this?

Install Null Keyboard and set it as the default keyboard if you use an external keyboard and want to disable the onscreen keyboard.

1 Like

Thanks a lot and I will try it out.