Edge-V boots then shuts down

My employer just gave me an Edge-V Pro to use. I am currently powering it using a USB A to C cable connected to an Intel NUC USB 3.0 port. I have loaded the following image and it boots fine and I am able to see the output using an HDMI cable connected between the Edge-V board and a monitor.

[Edge_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-4.4_arm64_EMMC_V0.8.3-20200110] - this boots fine

When I load the below image, the Edge-V Pro starts to boot (Red LED on, white LED flashing), then after less than a minute, the Red LED goes out and just the white LED flashes. Nothing is ever displayed via the HDMI on the monitor.

[Edge_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-5.5-rc2_arm64_EMMC_V0.8.3-20200110] - fails boot

Note: the above two images are supplied by Khadas.

I can build both the kernel version 4.4 and kernel mainline images. The kernel version 4.4 image burns and boots fine, but the kernel mainline image gives the same results as the kernel 5.5 image above.

Can anyone shed light on what is happening here? Do I need to change some setting or is this some kind of power issue. Thank you for your time.

Firstly do not try to boot any board using pc power.
Edge-v needs atleast 3amp to power other wise it will power off in the middle of the process like it did once to me while the kernel was updating.

Secondly. You will have to do a full wipe of emmc when trying different images as in your case I see 4.9 which might have bsp uboot and 5.5 which may have mainline uboot.

Also please do verify the checksum after you download the image just be sure that the img is not corrupted while downloading.

Also welcome to the forum and you’re a lucky employee to get edge-v from your employer :wink:

I hope this will help you in some way.

1 Like

I got an external power supply that provides 5V @ 3A. My Edge-V board still shuts down while booting. I tried reloading the image. I reloaded with the server with kernel 4.4 and it worked fine, but when I tried the eMMC server with kernel version 5.5, I got the same result with the board shutting down. Have you been able to get the server or desktop eMMC image to burn and boot? Any more ideas on what this could be?

Also, do you know what the voltage level is for the serial debugger TX and RX pins? Is it 3.3V or 5V. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I need this information so I can order a USB to serial cable for debugging.

Also, is there any where else but the forum to turn (Khadas tech support, for example) to get help with my issue?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hello, when connecting, only TX, RX and ground are required. I never connect 3.3v or 5v lines.
More info in Khadas Docs.

I am using this UART as PL series works on RK3399 soc while CP series doesn’t

So make sure you order PL series.
And as said by @RDFTKV just use TX, RX and Ground.

Have you tried booting OS from SD card and see if it works?
Like Manjaro OS?